+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pr renewal.please help

mahmoud123

Feb 9, 2013
Hi to all,

I landed with my family on February 2007 and we stayed in Canada for 3 months. We returned back to our country in may 2007. We have the chance to return back in Canada on October 2010 (stayed more than 3 years outside). Since October 2010, we didn’t leave Canada. Now, we would like to renew our pr cards. (In the last five years we stayed about 2 years and 4 months).
I have 2 questions.
1) If I apply for pr renewal now, cic will ask all the passports within the last 5 years, they will know that we didn’t verify the residency during the first 5 years, so in this case; does cic refuse the renewal of pr because we didn’t verify the residency during the first 5 years?
2) When we apply for citizenship in October this year, should we have any problems because we didn’t accomplish the residency obligations during the first 5 years,

Thank you in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC rules forbid them from looking at any period other than the last 5 years before you apply to renew so they can not go back in time and say you lost your PR because of some period in the past.

You can verify this here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf on page 10 where it says:

For persons who have been permanent residents of Canada for more than five years, the only
five-year period that can be considered in calculating whether an applicant has met the residency
obligation is the one immediately before the application is received in the visa office. A28(2)(b)(ii)
precludes a visa officer from examining any period other than the most recent five-year period
immediately before the date of receipt of the application.

Even if a person had resided away from Canada for many years, but returned to Canada and
resided there for a minimum of 730 days during the last five years, that person would comply with
the residency obligation and remain a permanent resident. An officer is not permitted to consider
just any five-year period in the applicant’s past, but must always assess the most recent five-year
period preceding the receipt of the application.