Ellabear

Apr 8, 2016
Category........
PNP
IELTS Request
Already Tested
Interview........
27-05-2016 (Skype)
Hello! I know that you must be in Canada to renewl PR card. I am in Canada, but my children who are minor are outside Canada. Can i renew their PR cards for them? Or should we do PRTD? Pr cards are expiring in few months but they will be back in canada after a year.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello! I know that you must be in Canada to renewl PR card. I am in Canada, but my children who are minor are outside Canada. Can i renew their PR cards for them? Or should we do PRTD? Pr cards are expiring in few months but they will be back in canada after a year.
Are they in compliance with the residency obligation?

My understanding is that they need to apply from within Canada for the PR card renewal. So the 'standard' suggestion would be to apply for a PRTD for them several months in advance of their expected return. (Issue being only you want a PRTD issued whose validity goes beyond their expected date of return)

Ellabear

Apr 8, 2016
Category........
PNP
IELTS Request
Already Tested
Interview........
27-05-2016 (Skype)
Are they in compliance with the residency obligation?

My understanding is that they need to apply from within Canada for the PR card renewal. So the 'standard' suggestion would be to apply for a PRTD for them several months in advance of their expected return. (Issue being only you want a PRTD issued whose validity goes beyond their expected date of return)
Thank you for your response. Yes they meet the residency obligation. Its just that when they left theres only 6mos left for pr card to expire, i should have renewed it before they left but i misunderstood the part to send pictires of broken pr cards when i tried to renew, Thats why i didnt proceeded.

it’s just that i want to make clarification as its the parent who is the declarant/will file the pr renewel for minors and question says are you in canada which is i am, but the children are not

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your response. Yes they meet the residency obligation. Its just that when they left theres only 6mos left for pr card to expire, i should have renewed it before they left but i misunderstood the part to send pictires of broken pr cards when i tried to renew, Thats why i didnt proceeded.

it’s just that i want to make clarification as its the parent who is the declarant/will file the pr renewel for minors and question says are you in canada which is i am, but the children are not
I would still only do it when the children are in Canada. Since they meet the RO, they shouldn't have an issue with the PRTD, just apply enough in advance.

Ellabear

Apr 8, 2016
Category........
PNP
IELTS Request
Already Tested
Interview........
27-05-2016 (Skype)
I would still only do it when the children are in Canada. Since they meet the RO, they shouldn't have an issue with the PRTD, just apply enough in advance.
They will go back in canada after a year. Will that be an issue? Even they’re gone for a year they will still meet the RO. Its from 2019-2024. They left 2024 and will stay out of canada for a year. At the same time, i will also apply for citizenship

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
They will go back in canada after a year. Will that be an issue? Even they’re gone for a year they will still meet the RO. Its from 2019-2024. They left 2024 and will stay out of canada for a year. At the same time, i will also apply for citizenship
Apply PRTD from outside as long as they meet their RO.
Your citizenship application is not relevant.