+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR RENEWAL- LAST 2 YRS IN 5 YRS

Highheels35

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
DearExperts,

I heard that those who are on PR STATUS AND ARE INTERESTED TO RENEW THEIR PR STATUS- THAN IT MUST THAT THEY SHUD MUST STAY IN CANADA IN THE LAST 2 YRS BEFORE THEIR 5 YEARS EXPIRES ....because when u sent yur case for renewal they calculate and check about last 2 yrs in 5 yrs .this make the case more stronger to be renewed....IS THIS TRUE.

AS I have read in PR pdf BookLET BY CIC that 730 days are to be completed RANDOMLY in five years.

regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's two years within the previous five years. The two years don't have to be continuous.

besthar

Jun 2, 2014
Melbourne
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
Med's Request
14-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-12-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
31-12-2015
LANDED..........
15-12-2015
scylla said:
It's two years within the previous five years. The two years don't have to be continuous.
So just to clarify ---- would that mean if my PR Card Expires on 4th of February 2021.... I come to Canada and Stay there continuously (without any travels) for the next 2 years and I get my PR Card Renewed .

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
besthar said:
So just to clarify ---- would that mean if my PR Card Expires on 4th of February 2021.... I come to Canada and Stay there continuously (without any travels) for the next 2 years and I get my PR Card Renewed .
CIC looks back 5 years from the date of application of PR card renewal. They verify minimum 2 years of residency during those 5 years.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
besthar said:
If you look at the application form to renew a PR card, they ask if you have been outside Canada for 1095 days or more since getting your PR if less than 5 years ago or in the past 5 years if you were a PR for longer. If you can say no to that, you are good to renew. 1095 days equals 3 years so this is basically the same requirement saying that you can't have spent more than 3 years outside vs. that you must have spent at least 730 days (2 years) in Canada in a 5 year period.

However, if you have stayed outside Canada for 1095 days or longer and hence are unable to meet the RO (residency obligation), you can put your PR status back in good standing by returning to Canada and staying until such a time that your absences from Canada move outside the window of past 5 years and are replaced by new days stayed in Canada to the point that your absences in the past 5 years are less then 1095 days. If you have long absences, you may have to stay for 2 years straight before you can renew your PR card.

However, in order to pull this off, you would need to be able to enter Canada after your long absences without being reported for not meeting the RO. Any time you enter Canada, the immigration officer may ask you some questions like where have you been, what were you doing, how long were you gone etc. You may not lie to him and if he finds out or suspects that you are in breach of the RO, he may report you. If he reports you, you must appeal it if you don't want to lose your PR. If you don't appeal or lose the appeal, you lose your PR. Even if your appeal drags on for more than 2 years, you will not have put your PR in good standing in that case because time spent in Canada under an appeal will only be counted if you win.

besthar

Jun 2, 2014
Melbourne
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
Med's Request
14-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-12-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
31-12-2015
LANDED..........
15-12-2015
Leon said:
If you look at the application form to renew a PR card, they ask if you have been outside Canada for 1095 days or more since getting your PR if less than 5 years ago or in the past 5 years if you were a PR for longer. If you can say no to that, you are good to renew. 1095 days equals 3 years so this is basically the same requirement saying that you can't have spent more than 3 years outside vs. that you must have spent at least 730 days (2 years) in Canada in a 5 year period.

However, if you have stayed outside Canada for 1095 days or longer and hence are unable to meet the RO (residency obligation), you can put your PR status back in good standing by returning to Canada and staying until such a time that your absences from Canada move outside the window of past 5 years and are replaced by new days stayed in Canada to the point that your absences in the past 5 years are less then 1095 days. If you have long absences, you may have to stay for 2 years straight before you can renew your PR card.

However, in order to pull this off, you would need to be able to enter Canada after your long absences without being reported for not meeting the RO. Any time you enter Canada, the immigration officer may ask you some questions like where have you been, what were you doing, how long were you gone etc. You may not lie to him and if he finds out or suspects that you are in breach of the RO, he may report you. If he reports you, you must appeal it if you don't want to lose your PR. If you don't appeal or lose the appeal, you lose your PR. Even if your appeal drags on for more than 2 years, you will not have put your PR in good standing in that case because time spent in Canada under an appeal will only be counted if you win.
Super Thanks Leon ...

I really do want to move to Canada asap... The challenge is that we plan to get the Kids Australia Citizenship (Dual Citizenship sounds too Ambitious , But we plan for the same - Just so that they decide where they want to live and work when they grow up) ... I would Qualify for the Australian Citizenship in Oct 2018 and we should get the OZ Passport by Jan/Feb 2019... Worst Case April 2019 ...

In order for me to avoid additional questions from the immigration and renew my PR without hassles , I need to enter Canada before Feb 4th 2019 and Stay Put there until My PR Card Expiry i.e Feb 3rd 2021 ...

besthar

Jun 2, 2014
Melbourne
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
Med's Request
14-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-12-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
31-12-2015
LANDED..........
15-12-2015
thecoolguysam said:
CIC looks back 5 years from the date of application of PR card renewal. They verify minimum 2 years of residency during those 5 years.
Cheers , Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
besthar said:
Super Thanks Leon ...

I really do want to move to Canada asap... The challenge is that we plan to get the Kids Australia Citizenship (Dual Citizenship sounds too Ambitious , But we plan for the same - Just so that they decide where they want to live and work when they grow up) ... I would Qualify for the Australian Citizenship in Oct 2018 and we should get the OZ Passport by Jan/Feb 2019... Worst Case April 2019 ...

In order for me to avoid additional questions from the immigration and renew my PR without hassles , I need to enter Canada before Feb 4th 2019 and Stay Put there until My PR Card Expiry i.e Feb 3rd 2021 ...
You need to meet the RO for the first 5 years since you landed so if you landed on 15-12-2015 like your profile info says and stayed in Canada until Feb 5th 2016, then you are right you should return on Feb 4th 2019 before you reach 3 years outside Canada. If you left earlier or later after your landing, adjust accordingly. It has really nothing to do with the expiry date on the PR card. The first 5 year period where you must meet the RO starts when you land as a PR and after that it's rolling.

Is it important for Australian citizenship that you stay until after you get the passport? If it is not, at least one of you could return to Canada while the other waits with the kids in Australia. That way in a worst case scenario, one parent keeps the Canadian PR and can sponsor the other spouse as well as the kids.

besthar

Jun 2, 2014
Melbourne
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
Med's Request
14-11-2014
Med's Done....
15-12-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
31-12-2015
LANDED..........
15-12-2015
Leon said:
You need to meet the RO for the first 5 years since you landed so if you landed on 15-12-2015 like your profile info says and stayed in Canada until Feb 5th 2016, then you are right you should return on Feb 4th 2019 before you reach 3 years outside Canada. If you left earlier or later after your landing, adjust accordingly. It has really nothing to do with the expiry date on the PR card. The first 5 year period where you must meet the RO starts when you land as a PR and after that it's rolling.

Is it important for Australian citizenship that you stay until after you get the passport? If it is not, at least one of you could return to Canada while the other waits with the kids in Australia. That way in a worst case scenario, one parent keeps the Canadian PR and can sponsor the other spouse as well as the kids.
That explains ... Thanks Mate ...

Cheers