28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,
I become a Permanent Resident on the 19th of January 2018. Now I want to renew my PR, so do I need to send supporting documents showing that I meet the residency obligation?
please see the link below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#appendixA
Follow the instructions in the PR renewal application and only submit the documents requested there. So yes, you would need to follow the instructions above. Make sure you meet the residency obligation at the time you apply and also make sure you don't apply too early (no earlier than 9 months before your PR card expires).

Reactions: YVR123

theurn15

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
Follow the instructions in the PR renewal application and only submit the documents requested there. So yes, you would need to follow the instructions above. Make sure you meet the residency obligation at the time you apply and also make sure you don't apply too early (no earlier than 9 months before your PR card expires).
Thanku, but some people here say I don't need to submit supporting documents showing that I meet the residency obligation unless they request it!
my PR expires in 4 months.

Foodzilla

Oct 1, 2022
Dear all,
I become a Permanent Resident on the 19th of January 2018. Now I want to renew my PR, so do I need to send supporting documents showing that I meet the residency obligation?
please see the link below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#appendixA

I also have this question. If i meet the RO do i still need to send supporting documents in the Appendix A? Please let me know what did you do about it?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I also have this question. If i meet the RO do i still need to send supporting documents in the Appendix A? Please let me know what did you do about it?
People who doesn't meet the RO should not apply for renewal. So most/everyone who applies for PR card renewal meets the RO.

This is in the guide posted by OP and there is no "condition" in this section. So everyone needs to provide 2 pieces of evidence.
Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.

Reactions: Foodzilla and Ponga

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
PRs who are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and in Canada, do not need to submit, with a PR card application, "supporting documents" that show they "meet the residency obligation," not unless IRCC subsequently requests them.

For some, perhaps many (such as those cutting-it-close), not likely it would hurt to include them with the PR card application, and it shouldn't be onerous: one bank statement in the PR's name showing the PR's residential address in Canada, and one other document, maybe an employment record or pay stub, or a utility bill, again just one other "piece of evidence" with the PR's name and residential address on it. Just "two pieces" of evidence that show the PR has had a residential address in Canada within the five years prior to the PR card application.

See instructions under "Gather Documents" in the Guide IMM 5445 and in the Document Checklist IMM 5644.

Do not be distracted by the various "if they apply" additional document requirements, which reference further instructions ("if they apply") in Appendix A: Residency Obligation . . . well, UNLESS, of course, they do indeed apply. There are additional instructions in the Appendix for --
-- an application for a PR Travel Document, for which yeah, the additional instructions in the Appendix apply (see checklist).​
-- a PR who was outside Canada more than 1095 days in the relevant five years, and one of the exceptions allowing credit for time abroad applies; there are very specific instructions in the appendix as to supporting documents in these cases.​
-- particular (albeit disappointingly vague) instructions for PRs in breach and relying on H&C relief.​

People who doesn't meet the RO should not apply for renewal. So most/everyone who applies for PR card renewal meets the RO.

This is in the guide posted by OP and there is no "condition" in this section. So everyone needs to provide 2 pieces of evidence.
Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
Apart from IRCC continuing to mangle the PR card application and instructions . . . .

It appears that what you are quoting is NOT from the guide itself, and definitely not the section titled "Gather Documents," but rather from Appendix A: Residency Obligation. And that makes a difference. The instructions in Appendix do NOT apply to all PR card applications.

In particular, the "Gather Documents" section in the linked instructions does not list RO related supporting documents as what must be submitted with a PR card application by a PR in RO compliance, and only refers to the supporting documents referenced in the Appendix for the Residency Obligation IF the PR has been outside Canada more than 1095 days in the relevant five years.

The checklist, IMM 5644 similarly lists:
"Proof of residency requirements if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years. Please refer to Appendix A of the instruction guide for a list of the documents required."​

Otherwise the checklist does NOT list RO related supporting documents for a PR card application, but does if the application is for a PR Travel Document.

Reactions: YVR123

neil_user

Star Member
Mar 14, 2021
PRs who are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, and in Canada, do not need to submit, with a PR card application, "supporting documents" that show they "meet the residency obligation," not unless IRCC subsequently requests them.

For some, perhaps many (such as those cutting-it-close), not likely it would hurt to include them with the PR card application, and it shouldn't be onerous: one bank statement in the PR's name showing the PR's residential address in Canada, and one other document, maybe an employment record or pay stub, or a utility bill, again just one other "piece of evidence" with the PR's name and residential address on it. Just "two pieces" of evidence that show the PR has had a residential address in Canada within the five years prior to the PR card application.

See instructions under "Gather Documents" in the Guide IMM 5445 and in the Document Checklist IMM 5644.

Do not be distracted by the various "if they apply" additional document requirements, which reference further instructions ("if they apply") in Appendix A: Residency Obligation . . . well, UNLESS, of course, they do indeed apply. There are additional instructions in the Appendix for --
-- an application for a PR Travel Document, for which yeah, the additional instructions in the Appendix apply (see checklist).​
-- a PR who was outside Canada more than 1095 days in the relevant five years, and one of the exceptions allowing credit for time abroad applies; there are very specific instructions in the appendix as to supporting documents in these cases.​
-- particular (albeit disappointingly vague) instructions for PRs in breach and relying on H&C relief.​

Apart from IRCC continuing to mangle the PR card application and instructions . . . .

It appears that what you are quoting is NOT from the guide itself, and definitely not the section titled "Gather Documents," but rather from Appendix A: Residency Obligation. And that makes a difference. The instructions in Appendix do NOT apply to all PR card applications.

In particular, the "Gather Documents" section in the linked instructions does not list RO related supporting documents as what must be submitted with a PR card application by a PR in RO compliance, and only refers to the supporting documents referenced in the Appendix for the Residency Obligation IF the PR has been outside Canada more than 1095 days in the relevant five years.

The checklist, IMM 5644 similarly lists:
"Proof of residency requirements if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years. Please refer to Appendix A of the instruction guide for a list of the documents required."​

Otherwise the checklist does NOT list RO related supporting documents for a PR card application, but does if the application is for a PR Travel Document.
@dpenabill so this is not applicable for me as I meet RO. Should this be checked in the checklist and then not provide anything or keep it unchecked in the checklist since I meet RO?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@dpenabill so this is not applicable for me as I meet RO. Should this be checked in the checklist and then not provide anything or keep it unchecked in the checklist since I meet RO?
Apart from the fact I am NOT an expert and NOT qualified to give personal advice, I have no idea what your circumstances are. So I cannot offer much at all beyond what I have already posted and you have quoted.

I have no clue in what way it is you meet the RO. If you are asking about a PR card application, some of the circumstances for which supporting documents need to be submitted with the application are precisely to show the PR is entitled to credits toward the RO.

If this is specifically about a PR card application, and about a PR who has been IN Canada more than 730 days within the five years preceding the date of the application (or since landing if it is still before the fifth year anniversary of the landing), the applicant does not need to check the item, in the checklist, for "Proof of residency requirements if you were outside of Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years." And does not need to submit, with the application, supporting documents to prove they meet the RO as described in Appendix A.

This comes with a caveat: Apart from the more extensive supporting documents needed for PRs relying on RO credit for days outside Canada (such as days accompanying citizen spouse abroad), the basic supporting documents described in the appendix are minimal. I do not give advice, but it makes sense to me to include, as the appendix describes it, "2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application." One Notice of Assessment plus one bank statement or one pay stub, for one example among many, would suffice. And check the corresponding box in the checklist. Easy, easy, easy.

While that goes against the conventional wisdom, with which I agree, to NOT submit additional items not requested, this is a small exception which should not be at all problematic.

And it may be that despite what the instructions state, and the checklist, it is possible that IRCC intended for PR card applicants to include this very basic supporting documentation . . . changes in the forms and guides in the last few years have been, well, less than perfect; as I referenced above, IRCC has unfortunately continued to mangle the PR card application and instructions.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
I meet RO but live outside Canada for more than 1095 days. I live with my citizen spouse in US which still qualify for RO counts.
And I do submit my proof of residence in Canada and in US.
From the wording, I believe if you are in Canada more than 730 days, you don't need to submit these supporting documents, unless you are asked to.
But, if you are OK to attach these supports, I don't see anything wrong, and it could make your application quicker (they don't ask you for this saves time)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I meet RO but live outside Canada for more than 1095 days. I live with my citizen spouse in US which still qualify for RO counts.
And I do submit my proof of residence in Canada and in US.
From the wording, I believe if you are in Canada more than 730 days, you don't need to submit these supporting documents, unless you are asked to.
But, if you are OK to attach these supports, I don't see anything wrong, and it could make your application quicker (they don't ask you for this saves time)
You must prove that you have been living with your Canadian spouse abroad for over 730 days. Did you live in Canada with your Canadian spouse during the past 5 years with your family or just visit? It sounds like your primary residence is currently in the US and may have been for the past 5 years. How soon after receiving PR did you leave for the US?

skp

Mar 7, 2010
Canada
Visa Office......
CHC London
AOR Received.
17-12-2008
File Transfer...
23-12-2008
Med's Request
14-10-2009
Med's Done....
17-11-2009
Can Somebody let me know that when you submit bank statement, have you Notarized them before submission ? I wonder that you need to Notarized more than 100 pages (2 pages per month x 60 months) and you need to add at least 10 or 12 more for Tax Notice, Passport pages, etc.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can Somebody let me know that when you submit bank statement, have you Notarized them before submission ? I wonder that you need to Notarized more than 100 pages (2 pages per month x 60 months) and you need to add at least 10 or 12 more for Tax Notice, Passport pages, etc.
You certainly do not need to notarize them or do anything if they're in English or French. And what you propose to submit is CLEARLY excessive. Read through the thread. You do NOT need to provide all that.

They ask for two repeat two pieces of evidence you have lived in CAnada. That's it. Not every day, not 60 months, etc.