+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal- how to prove when left and returned to canada ?

Maple Leaf

Jan 15, 2005
hi, i have a year till my PR is due for renewal. but i am wanting to get prepared. what do i need to have or show how long i have been in canada in the last 5 years?

i meet the requirements but am unclear on how i prove i have been in the country. i have been out of the country for about 4 months in the last near 4 years.

my passport does not have all the stamps in it to show when i left and returned. hmmm nuisance huh! make sure you get that stamped is my advice! as it helps with filling the form out! aswell

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Hi Maple Leaf,

I wondered the same thing though I've only been a PR for a year. Basically I was told by members here to keep track of proof (tickets, itineraries, bank and credit card statements, leases, etc). I started a spread sheet of my days out of Canada (and whether or not I was accompanied by my citizen partner) and will keep itineraries from now on. Thankfully I started the list now because I won't remember in another four years!

From reading the forum...note I have no actual experience with PR renewal...
I suspect that if you have mostly been here and declare without necessarily having proof of only a short time away from Canada that you will not have a problem. If you've been away a lot or they don't believe you I think they ask you to submit a secondary questionnaire that is more detailed.

Hopefully, you will get more responses to your query that we can all learn from. BTW, did you know that there is a folder in the settlement topics for permanent residency obligations? If not, you might want to start reading some threads there.

Allison

Maple Leaf

Jan 15, 2005
Hi Alison and no i didn't know there was a section for that topic. thanks

and yes keeping records is a good idea. i did but have lost it. haa teach me won't it.

i've been out of the country maybe 4 months in total and not planning on leaving anytime soon. i am not worried about but just thought i would ask.

always best to keep prepared for sure.

Maple..:)

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Your tax return is excellent proof.

This will show that you have been working and paying taxes to Canada for the years you have lived here.

I am keeping my payslips. This will be more than enough proof of my days in Canada.

Things like bank statements, showing withdrawals and deposits will help. I probably use my debit card at least once a day, this will also show I am in Canada.

As I have no intention of leaving Canada until I get my citizenship, I don't think it will be a problem. Having gone through the PR stage though, this time I will be more than prepared to show length of time.

Maple Leaf

Jan 15, 2005
yes tax receipts would be a help.however i haven't worked full years within canada. but close to it...

thanks and i will keep them...i mean i do have them..:)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I renewed my PR, I did not send any proof and it was not a problem. If you have been working and filing taxes, they will know.

If you are cutting it close with the days or you have not been working, you can try bank records, phone bills etc. Having written up a travel log and matched it to the stamps in your passport is also good if you have a lot of stamps. It has happened that people have gone to pick up their new PR card but have been refused on the spot just based on the person seeing all the stamps in their passport.