+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal has been sent off but I have to leave Canada for a few days.

winkywoo

Aug 11, 2017
Hi there. I am a UK citizen with Canadian permanent residency. My PR card has expired and has been sent off for renewal. I have to go to the U.S for about 3 or 4 days in 3 weeks. How would I return to Canada without my PR card? I have read about the PR permanent resident travel document but I have read that it takes about 2-3 weeks to process. As stated, I will only be out of the country for a few days. What would be an option in this circumstance? Thanks for the help in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You either need to remain in the UK longer to obtain a PRTD. Or you can fly to the US on you return flight and re-enter Canada by land using a private vehicle.

winkywoo

Aug 11, 2017
You either need to remain in the UK longer to obtain a PRTD. Or you can fly to the US on you return flight and re-enter Canada by land using a private vehicle.
Thanks for the reply. I am already in Canada, I am not in the UK. PR card renewal has been sent off but I will be flying to the States for a few days in about 3 weeks. What would be the best way to return to Canada while my PR renewal is processing?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply. I am already in Canada, I am not in the UK. PR card renewal has been sent off but I will be flying to the States for a few days in about 3 weeks. What would be the best way to return to Canada while my PR renewal is processing?
As you will not have long enough to get a PRTD, the only way for you to return is by crossing the Canada-US border on foot or in a private vehicle.

winkywoo

Aug 11, 2017
As you will not have long enough to get a PRTD, the only way for you to return is by crossing the Canada-US border on foot or in a private vehicle.
Forgive my ignorance but what difference would that make? Surely any customs officer at a US/Canada border would require the same paperwork. Unfortunately, returning to Canada via car or foot is not an option. My thought is to take paperwork to prove that my PR is currently being processed for renewal and to take my expired PR card. Surely that will be enough for any customs officer to wave me through. I have been a PR for over 5 years now. It is just unfortunate that I have to travel in this awkward transitioning period.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Forgive my ignorance but what difference would that make? Surely any customs officer at a US/Canada border would require the same paperwork. Unfortunately, returning to Canada via car or foot is not an option. My thought is to take paperwork to prove that my PR is currently being processed for renewal and to take my expired PR card. Surely that will be enough for any customs officer to wave me through. I have been a PR for over 5 years now. It is just unfortunate that I have to travel in this awkward transitioning period.
A PR card or PRTD is not required for entering Canada. However, it is required for boarding a commercial carrier to travel to Canada, hence the land border exception where you bypass the commercial carrier.

Kkd

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
A PR card may not be NOT mandatory for entering Canada byRoad , but don"t you need enough paper work to, prove that you are in status for Your permanent Residency?
Can anyone walk in Canada if one travels by road ? Please clarify because I am also under similar situation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A PR card may not be NOT mandatory for entering Canada byRoad , but don"t you need enough paper work to, prove that you are in status for Your permanent Residency?
Can anyone walk in Canada if one travels by road ? Please clarify because I am also under similar situation.
You need to be able to prove your PR status. For most, the can be done with just their passport. You can also show your expired PR card or COPR for CBSA to verify your status.

winkywoo

Aug 11, 2017
You need to be able to prove your PR status. For most, the can be done with just their passport. You can also show your expired PR card or COPR for CBSA to verify your status.
This process would not work if you are travelling via plane - correct? I have my expired PR card, paperwork to prove my PR renewal is being processed and of course my passport. That is what I was planning on showing the officer at customs.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This process would not work if you are travelling via plane - correct? I have my expired PR card, paperwork to prove my PR renewal is being processed and of course my passport. That is what I was planning on showing the officer at customs.
All of that is fine to enter Canada. None of it will get you on to a commercial carrier.