+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal for an expat students

muammardev

Mar 20, 2024
Not sure if anyone faced this before or had similar experience. When we received our landed papers, my daughter was already enrolled in Medical school outside Canada, and there was no option to do college transfer as you know for medical fields. PR Renewal is nearby, and while my daughter stayed with us here in Canada as much as she could during her breaks, but she will not be able to finish more than 450 days. What could be her options in order to renew her PR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure if anyone faced this before or had similar experience. When we received our landed papers, my daughter was already enrolled in Medical school outside Canada, and there was no option to do college transfer as you know for medical fields. PR Renewal is nearby, and while my daughter stayed with us here in Canada as much as she could during her breaks, but she will not be able to finish more than 450 days. What could be her options in order to renew her PR?
It's important to understand that only the PR Card expires; PR status does not.

She should not apply to renew her PR Card until she is able to meet the R.O. (Residency Obligation)! She would then need to be in Canada to apply, when she is eligible. Is she is able to return to Canada before her card expires, that would be ideal. If not, she would only be able to apply for a PRTD under H&C which, unless she has truly compelling grounds, her application could be denied...which would not be good.

Even if her PR Card is expired when she wants to return to Canada, she will not be denied entry by CBSA. She could be denied traveling via a commercial carrier, since they do require a valid PR card (or a PRTD) to board the craft they will be traveling on (likely aircraft).

She would need to return to Canada via the U.S. and enter Canada in a personal/private vehicle (or on foot) at a land PoE to `enter' Canada. A valid PR Card is not required at a land border, but is always the best way to prove PR status.

Reactions: muammardev

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Best option is for her to return to Canada before her PR card expires and then remain in Canada without leaving until she meets the residency obligation. Then she can apply to renew her PR card.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured