+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal- certified true copy

Kikilala

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
In the document checklist it said that I need to submit a photocopy of my current PR card & passport copy, it didn’t mention it needed to be certified or not. However when I read the IMM 5445 online, there’s another section

Certified true copies
To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must (as described below) compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy......

So, that means I have to find someone to certify my photocopies, am I correct?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In the document checklist it said that I need to submit a photocopy of my current PR card & passport copy, it didn’t mention it needed to be certified or not. However when I read the IMM 5445 online, there’s another section

Certified true copies
To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must (as described below) compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy......

Generally the required copies do NOT need to be certified.

There are exceptions. The one that is obvious and comes to mind has to do with properly authenticated translations which must be accompanied by a certified copy of the original document that is translated. Any notary can examine the original of a document and a photocopy of it, and certify that it is a true and correct copy. Generally not a big deal.

You appear to be referring to a section of the guide that explains what is necessary for a copy to be "certified," but that only applies to those few exceptions in which a certified copy is required; again, such as the copy of the original accompanying a translation (if any document being submitted requires a translation).

Reactions: henudo and Kikilala

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015

Certified true copies

You don't need to submit a copy of your current PR card - where are you reading this information?

Kikilala

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
You don't need to submit a copy of your current PR card - where are you reading this information?
From here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Under Step 1: “Gather Documents”:

Your PR Card
If you are applying to renew your present card, you should keep it until you get your new card and include a photocopy of it with your application.

rahul4797

Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Nomination.....
10-06-2015
AOR Received.
11-20-2015
IELTS Request
Not applicable
Med's Request
May-31-2016
Med's Done....
June-06-2016
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting

Certified true copies

Hi there,
I do have a same question. Can you please let me know if you did certify your copies of passport and other document and successfully got your PR renewal. I am on the same boat and soon going to apply PR renewal.

thanks
Rahul

laneysheridan

Dec 29, 2021
Hi :) Can anyone confirm if they needed to have certified, true copies of their passport, PR card, etc. when they have applied recently? I know you have to if you need something translated, but didn't know for the general stuff. Looking to renew and didn't want to certify if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Alana

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi :) Can anyone confirm if they needed to have certified, true copies of their passport, PR card, etc. when they have applied recently? I know you have to if you need something translated, but didn't know for the general stuff. Looking to renew and didn't want to certify if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Alana
If original is in English or French and it doesn't specify explicitly in instructions that certified copy is needed, then photocopies are sufficient.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015

Thanks!

Alana
I submitted and got my application approved for PR card renewal in 2021. Didn't need certified true copies for any document.

Reactions: yeasir1987