+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal card application is considered abandoned

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
ALl,

i was sent RQ and have not yet replied - they said they will consider my application abandoned
is there an issue with that? or is it better to withdraw the application?

can anyone advise?

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
All,

Any input? has anybody got his PR renewal application abandoned after not replying to the RQ invstigation letter?

if so, was he/she able to access Canda via the U.S? did he/she have any toughle renewing the pr card later? pls share experience

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would formally withdraw rather than abandoning.

If you received RQ the first time and then abandoned the application - then there's probably a good chance you will get RQ when you reapply.

Don't you have a citizenship application in progress? They may put the citizenship application on hold until you are successful in renewing your PR card.

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
thanks for your answer

anyone else got his PR renewal application abandoned afer not replying to RQ ?

pls share your experience

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is nothing to share. You will get RQ in your next PR renewal application and in your citizenship application.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
toronto_man said:
ALl,

i was sent RQ and have not yet replied - they said they will consider my application abandoned
is there an issue with that? or is it better to withdraw the application?

can anyone advise?
toronto_man said:
so better to withdraw the application?
Frankly, it is best to respond. To neither withdraw nor allow it to be deemed abandoned.

Even if in responding that might in effect document how you fall short of meeting the residency obligation . . .

. . . unless, of course, there were blatant misrepresentations in the application itself.

Thus: if there were some flaws in your application but no misrepresentations in it, best to respond to the form seeking Residency Determination information. If responding will nonetheless result in the application being denied, at the least there will be a record of the Residency Determination (CIC maintains an entirely separate database for this information) and that will be a baseline for any future application.

Either withdrawing or abandoning is too likely to lead a total stranger bureaucrat to infer the likelihood of some misrepresentation in the application and put a negative if not nasty flag into your GCMS/FOSS record.

Or, potentially, initiate an investigation into what CIC refers to as "possible residency fraud."

If there were significant misrepresentations made in the application: see a lawyer.

It is possible that by either withdrawing or abandoning the application (my sense is either of these is about the same as the other), CIC will not pursue it in any regard unless and until you make another application, of just about any sort, including an application for a PR Travel Document while abroad, or appear at a POE seeking entry into Canada.

But that's gambling if there were material misrepresentations made in the application. Again, particularly if you are aware their were material misrepresentations made in the application, there is the risk of CIC initiating an investigation into "possible residency fraud." Abandoning or withdrawing the application will not necessarily preclude this. Thus, if there were any significant misrepresentations made in the application, better to take everything to a lawyer, ASAP, and get some confidential legal advice about where to go from here, how to navigate your way forward.