+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal and travel

RockyStar1985

Apr 20, 2017
Hi All,

Need some expert guidance.

I had applied for my PR renewal back in Dec 2022 using online portal and have been few back and forth with IRCC on photo issues, ghost updates, etc. Long story short, the renewal is not complete yet.

Meanwhile I need to travel for work to US near the Windsor border, so I am driving without any issues. Next month I need to travel far where I cannot drive.

From Toronto to LA - flight which will only check the US visa (I have Irish passport, so will get travel authorization ETA).

For return flight, I am thinking of getting eTA for Canada using my Irish passport.

Can someone confirm or guide if getting eTA while I am resident of Canada is even allowed. Can I apply while I am in Canada? Will the border agent allow me to enter?
As eTA is for visitors, I am thinking about putting arbitrary 6 months date for my stay while applying for the eTA. Does anyone think of any problems in this?

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I had applied for my PR renewal back in Dec 2022 using online portal and have been few back and forth with IRCC on photo issues, ghost updates, etc. Long story short, the renewal is not complete yet.

Meanwhile I need to travel for work to US near the Windsor border, so I am driving without any issues. Next month I need to travel far where I cannot drive.

From Toronto to LA - flight which will only check the US visa (I have Irish passport, so will get travel authorization ETA).

For return flight, I am thinking of getting eTA for Canada using my Irish passport.

Can someone confirm or guide if getting eTA while I am resident of Canada is even allowed. Can I apply while I am in Canada? Will the border agent allow me to enter?
As eTA is for visitors, I am thinking about putting arbitrary 6 months date for my stay while applying for the eTA. Does anyone think of any problems in this?

Thanks
Sure, you can still drive from Toronto to LA. A friend of mine just returned from a road trip from Halifax to Vancouver!

However, your ETA would probably not work if you get back by flight (because you are PR). The airline would probably stop you at check-in. Ask a friend to pick you up at Seattle airport, give you a ride in his private car to YVR and then get a domestic flight back to Toronto.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi All,

Thanks
Even though a PR has a passport from a country that is visa-exempt, Canadian PRs are not eligible for eTA for Canada. An application for eTA will be denied.

Canadians (with some exceptions, like Canadians who are also U.S. citizens) must present their Canadian passport (citizens) or PR card (for Canadian PRs) to board a flight coming to Canada from outside Canada, or obtain and present a Canadian Travel Document.

As you have experienced, there is no problem at a Port-of-Entry. No need for eTA. The problem is being allowed to board a flight (or another commercial carrier) coming to Canada. So for many in a situation similar to yours, they book a return flight to Buffalo, New York, and either get picked up by someone driving from Ontario or take land transportation to the border (Peace Bridge to Fort Erie, or the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, or the Lewiston Bridge to Queenston Heights), then crossing the border. Flight to Detroit, Michigan to go to bridge to Windsor is another alternative.