+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445
Service Canada does have to be somewhat cautious when it comes to giving out SIN#s given the potential for fraud.
What? The person's ID seems to have matched. They, like you, cannot just wave their hands and say 'fraud potential' when a fundamental right is at play.
 
What? The person's ID seems to have matched. They, like you, cannot just wave their hands and say 'fraud potential' when a fundamental right is at play.

Didn’t say that they should be refused. Saying that there is likely a somewhat more in depth process required before handing over someone’s old SIN#. I have had to provide multiple forms of ID for much less important things than a SIN#.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dpenabill
Didn’t say that they should be refused. Saying that there is likely a somewhat more in depth process required before handing over someone’s old SIN#. I have had to provide multiple forms of ID for much less important things than a SIN#.
Okay: but there's actually /no/ basis comparable here, the amount and types of ID the OP holds are more than enough to identify the person AND status. They are not asking to be given /their/ SIN on basis of not having identity docs.

The moreso in that there are basically no benefits (that I can think of) to access that require payouts from that individual account, nor even really out of government budget at this stage.
 
Update: The job I was offered was willing to wait for me to get my PR card. Thankfully the process didn’t take very long. After submitting on August 25th, the application was approved on tOctober 2nd and PR card was shipped yesterday October 7th so I’m just waiting for it to arrive. As soon as I get it I will be going back to Service Canada to get my SIN.

I do believe this is a grey area that needs to be addressed legally but unfortunately I do not have the resources or time to do so.
 
Update: The job I was offered was willing to wait for me to get my PR card. Thankfully the process didn’t take very long. After submitting on August 25th, the application was approved on tOctober 2nd and PR card was shipped yesterday October 7th so I’m just waiting for it to arrive. As soon as I get it I will be going back to Service Canada to get my SIN.
The best development out of this is that you are getting your PR card in a timely manner.
I do believe this is a grey area that needs to be addressed legally but unfortunately I do not have the resources or time to do so.
Agree it needs to be addressed. As stated before, though, most seem to eventually get it, even without waiting for PR card to come through.