+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Questions

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hi All,

I have recently received my PR which expires on June 27. Me and my husband are based out of USA and are planning for soft landing in March or April. I do have the following questions:

1) Is there a time limit or time frame within which we need to do a permanent landing / settlement after the soft landing is done in March /April ?
I am asking this because we are planning to move to Canada after atleast one of us gets a permanent job in Canada.

2) Can we go back anytime for permanent settlement once the soft landing is done,like after five yrs also ? Or will the PR card that we get after soft landing process expire ?

Any clarity on the process would be helpful. Thanks in advance :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1)you need to be in Canada for 2 years in the first 5 years from initial landing to meet the residency obligation After the first 5 years the 5 years becomes a rolling 5 years where you need to be able to show 2 years preceding any new entry.

2)As above you must continue to meet the 2 year residency obligation although in theory you could stay away for near 3 years from the initial 5 year period but if you did that you should not leave at all for 2 years in order to meet the residency.

PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked.

If at any time you fail to meet the residency obligation and are out of the country, the next time you enter you would run the risk of being reported leading to PR status being revoked.

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
1)you need to be in Canada for 2 years in the first 5 years from initial landing to meet the residency obligation After the first 5 years the 5 years becomes a rolling 5 years where you need to be able to show 2 years preceding any new entry.

2)As above you must continue to meet the 2 year residency obligation although in theory you could stay away for near 3 years from the initial 5 year period but if you did that you should not leave at all for 2 years in order to meet the residency.

PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked.

If at any time you fail to meet the residency obligation and are out of the country, the next time you enter you would run the risk of being reported leading to PR status being revoked.
Thank you so much for your reply.. :) Should the two years be consecutive or is it just an accumulation of number of days inside the country ?