+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR processing - got married - updated IRCC

Kapashoo

May 11, 2024
Hello everyone,

I would really like for everyone's advise with my current situation.

I had submitted my PR application last December, got the document for biometrics this March. While waiting for that, I got married in March also. When I came back to Canada, I got an email from IRCC on answering some questions about my profile, and it included there to update them if there is a change in civil status; so, I did.

That was in April, now it's May and they sent me a "kit" of the additional documents I need to do so I can add(?) my spouse into my application.

The issues are:
1. He doesn't want to come here yet. Do I still need to go through with the add-on?
2. My PGWP is expiring this August. Although, I applied for that bridging program in March.
3. They only gave us 30 days to comply the needed documents. Can they give an extension?
4. Will it stall MY current PR application? I was so close yet I have to do this added step.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello everyone,

I would really like for everyone's advise with my current situation.

I had submitted my PR application last December, got the document for biometrics this March. While waiting for that, I got married in March also. When I came back to Canada, I got an email from IRCC on answering some questions about my profile, and it included there to update them if there is a change in civil status; so, I did.

That was in April, now it's May and they sent me a "kit" of the additional documents I need to do so I can add(?) my spouse into my application.

The issues are:
1. He doesn't want to come here yet. Do I still need to go through with the add-on?
2. My PGWP is expiring this August. Although, I applied for that bridging program in March.
3. They only gave us 30 days to comply the needed documents. Can they give an extension?
4. Will it stall MY current PR application? I was so close yet I have to do this added step.
1. Your husband has no intention of taking the PR? If that's the case, add him as non-accompanying. Yes, he'll be asked to go through biometrics and medicals even as non-accompanying.
2. is this a question?
3. Call them and ask. I've not seen anyone receive any extension here so better if you call and ask.
4. Yes, your application will be delayed slightly by a few months. That's normal once you add your spouse or a new family member to your application.

soh.aa

Jan 11, 2021
Hi Guys,

I have submitted an express entry profile for me and my spouse. Currently, I am in Canada and my spouse is outside Canada. If I receive ITA and we have to submit PR would there be any challenges?

Also, after PR is approved, would there be a separate type of COPR for both of us as one is inside Canada and one is outside? Please help

Thanks in advance

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hi Guys,

I have submitted an express entry profile for me and my spouse. Currently, I am in Canada and my spouse is outside Canada. If I receive ITA and we have to submit PR would there be any challenges?

Also, after PR is approved, would there be a separate type of COPR for both of us as one is inside Canada and one is outside? Please help

Thanks in advance
In your case:
1. you will be virtually landed after getting approved - you'll get portal 1, portal 2, and subsequently your eCoPR. You'll become a PR when you receive eCoPR.
2. your spouse will be asked to submit their passport for stamping. They'll be issued a paper CoPR along with the IM-1 visa stamped on passport. Your spouse will become a PR once they physically land in Canada and get their CoPR signed during immigration.

No challenges for either of you.

Kapashoo

May 11, 2024
1. Your husband has no intention of taking the PR? If that's the case, add him as non-accompanying. Yes, he'll be asked to go through biometrics and medicals even as non-accompanying.
2. is this a question?
3. Call them and ask. I've not seen anyone receive any extension here so better if you call and ask.
4. Yes, your application will be delayed slightly by a few months. That's normal once you add your spouse or a new family member to your application.
Hi,

Thank you for your response!

In regards to question #2; i wanted to ask if you've heard of that Bridging Permanent Residents program? It's where they give an extension to someone with an almost expiring pgwp.

If you have heard, do you know of anyone who was able to get that extension?

soh.aa

Jan 11, 2021
In your case:
1. you will be virtually landed after getting approved - you'll get portal 1, portal 2, and subsequently your eCoPR. You'll become a PR when you receive eCoPR.
2. your spouse will be asked to submit their passport for stamping. They'll be issued a paper CoPR along with the IM-1 visa stamped on passport. Your spouse will become a PR once they physically land in Canada and get their CoPR signed during immigration.

No challenges for either of you.
A few follow-up questions:

1. After getting CoPR, how many days are there to enter Canada? or before the expiration of medical?
2. Medical request comes at what point of PR application? like at what point of time in the current 6-7 months?
3. Can a spouse leave Canada after coming here on paper CoPR after 15 days? and come back within 3-4 months? will he be allowed to enter if he has only coPR and not PR Card?
4. If he provides my Canadian address for PR card, and he leaves before it so PR card will be delivered to me?

Thanks

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hi,

Thank you for your response!

In regards to question #2; i wanted to ask if you've heard of that Bridging Permanent Residents program? It's where they give an extension to someone with an almost expiring pgwp.

If you have heard, do you know of anyone who was able to get that extension?
If you have an AOR, you should be able to apply for a BOWP. A lot of folks on the forum got their status extended through BOWP.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
A few follow-up questions:

1. After getting CoPR, how many days are there to enter Canada? or before the expiration of medical?
2. Medical request comes at what point of PR application? like at what point of time in the current 6-7 months?
3. Can a spouse leave Canada after coming here on paper CoPR after 15 days? and come back within 3-4 months? will he be allowed to enter if he has only coPR and not PR Card?
4. If he provides my Canadian address for PR card, and he leaves before it so PR card will be delivered to me?

Thanks
1. till the validity of CoPR. Usually either tied to passport expiry or medical results expiry - whichever comes first. Look at the dates on CoPR for it and cross check with your passport expiry date or medicals expiry date.
2. Most usually get it within 2-4 months of their AoR.
3. Yes, your spouse can leave after 15 days. But to come back, they'd need either their PR card or a PRTD(PR travel document) - PR cards can easily take upto 2-3 months to arrive. I'm unsure of PRTD timelines.
4. Yes, PR card will be delivered to ANY address that he gives during the landing. He can also update delivery of the address by calling IRCC too.

soh.aa

Jan 11, 2021
1. till the validity of CoPR. Usually either tied to passport expiry or medical results expiry - whichever comes first. Look at the dates on CoPR for it and cross check with your passport expiry date or medicals expiry date.
2. Most usually get it within 2-4 months of their AoR.
3. Yes, your spouse can leave after 15 days. But to come back, they'd need either their PR card or a PRTD(PR travel document) - PR cards can easily take upto 2-3 months to arrive. I'm unsure of PRTD timelines.
4. Yes, PR card will be delivered to ANY address that he gives during the landing. He can also update delivery of the address by calling IRCC too.
Few more questions based on my confusions:
1. If my spouse has visit visa, will he still required to apply for PRTD?
2. Can he provide the address of PR card outside of Canada? or he can give my Canadian address while being out of the country? is that a problem?
3. If he can provide of country address, how many days it requires to get a PR card?
4. If he provides my address, can I receive his PR card and once he is inside Canada with Visit visa I can provide him his card? (is that legally a problem)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Few more questions based on my confusions:
1. If my spouse has visit visa, will he still required to apply for PRTD?
2. Can he provide the address of PR card outside of Canada? or he can give my Canadian address while being out of the country? is that a problem?
3. If he can provide of country address, how many days it requires to get a PR card?
4. If he provides my address, can I receive his PR card and once he is inside Canada with Visit visa I can provide him his card? (is that legally a problem)?
1. Once he is a PR, he will need either a PRTD or the PR card to fly to Canada.
2. No. Has to be a Canadian address.
3. See #2
4. See #1

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

soh.aa

Jan 11, 2021
For
1. Once he is a PR, he will need either a PRTD or the PR card to fly to Canada.
2. No. Has to be a Canadian address.
3. See #2
4. See #1
For the Canadian address, should my spouse have to be in Canada to receive it or not?
And if I have received his card here in Canada and PRTD is taking longer so can I visit him and give PR card to him?

thanks for your quick responses btw.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
For

For the Canadian address, should my spouse have to be in Canada to receive it or not?
And if I have received his card here in Canada and PRTD is taking longer so can I visit him and give PR card to him?

thanks for your quick responses btw.
1. If you've a post box, it is usually where the PR card will be sent to. We never met the person delivering our PR cards.
2. Yes, you can visit and give him his PR card. The only issue is that you also have to ensure that your PR card arrives in time. If you don't have a PR card, you can't come back without PRTD or through land border from USA(requires US visa).