+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR process - doing PhD in Canada

namratha

Jun 11, 2007
Hello friends,

I am 30 yrs old, Indian female, doing PhD in Vancouver, Canada. I have been in Canada since October 2004 in study permit (international student) which gets expired on September 2008. I have been receiving a financial aid of CAD 18,000 per year from the University. I got married last year and my husband is in India. I would like to apply for my PR status in Canada.

1) Can i apply for the PR status now? How long would the process take ?
2) Do i have to provide the funds CAD 10,000+ for applying PR as others apply from outside Canada ?
3) Where should i file my application?

I would be highly obliged, if anyone answer the questions. Thanks much.

Regards,
Namratha.

Aug 12, 2011
Hi Namratha,

in which uni u did ur phd? i m looking for good universities... pls suggest.

I am a PT in USA, on h1.
Thnx,
Bhargav Dave

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
(i) You cannot apply for a PR status unless you apply for a work permit and the process is pretty much the same for applicants who apply for AEO from outside.

(ii) yes.

(iii) CIO Nova Scotia.

are you illegal now in Canada since 2008? oh no.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
Most universities in Canada do have this type of funding.

Ususally between 12 and 20,000 a year. The only thing is that I am not sure about this funding for international students as they may not qualify in some schools. If you are a Canadian PR and plan to do your PhD, it is usually free and you are normally paid a stipend as stated. Sometimes, as part of this stipend, you may have to work as a teaching assistant or research assistant and sometimes not.

Hope this helps