+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR pregnant outside Canada

Ales

Apr 19, 2010
Dear all,
please explain this to me. I am reading all the postings and still don't understand the insurance waiting times much.
We became PRs last November 2009, left back for Europe and intend to move back to Canada permanently soon. At the time of our departure from Toronto where we landed we didn't and couldn't apply for OHIP. Now, when we return and my girlfriend will be 3-4 months pregnant at that time, where can we go to settle to be eligible for the insurance coverage? I would like to avoid this three month waiting period and be covered from day one preferably. What province would you recommend? Or since we already landed and still don't have insurance, will we be covered anywhere from day one at all?
Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Ales

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will be moving from another country so you should be covered by health care from day one unless you move to BC, ON, QC or NB. Move to any other province you feel like and they will cover you.

Ales

Apr 19, 2010
Thanks a million, Leon.
So do you mean that this three month waiting period is only for PRs already in the country who move from one province to another? So it is assumed that you already have an insurance from a province you are moving from, thus you are covered by the previous coverage and after three months you can finally apply for the insurance in the new province.
On the other side, if you move back to the country, no matter where you originally landed and if you were eligible for an insurance at the time of landing, this would count as a first move to Canada in terms of the insurance and thus you are covered from day one, provided such a coverage is provided from day one in that province. Am I correct?
Because in order to receive our PR cards, I provided the government with my friend's address in Toronto where the cards were subsequently delivered and then mailed to us to Europe. So there is no correlation between the insurance and the address on file (which I consider a permanent residence address)?
Thanks a lot again for your reply.
Ales

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is my understanding. However, to make sure, contact the health services in the province you are considering moving to and ask them if you will be covered from day one. If they say yes, you are good to go.

Derry

Star Member
Oct 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ales said:
Dear all,
please explain this to me. I am reading all the postings and still don't understand the insurance waiting times much.
We became PRs last November 2009, left back for Europe and intend to move back to Canada permanently soon. At the time of our departure from Toronto where we landed we didn't and couldn't apply for OHIP. Now, when we return and my girlfriend will be 3-4 months pregnant at that time, where can we go to settle to be eligible for the insurance coverage? I would like to avoid this three month waiting period and be covered from day one preferably. What province would you recommend? Or since we already landed and still don't have insurance, will we be covered anywhere from day one at all?
Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Ales
No, u'll not be automatically covered in most provinces, even if u had landed earlier. Every returning PR has that mandatory wait pd.

Your only province for getting it imdtly is Alberta & Manitoba. These 2 r the only ones who don't have the wait pd for Medicare.