+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR passport request while pending criminal case

pradhasi

Feb 24, 2017
I came to Canada as a Student back in 2012 and graduated in September 2015. I applied for my PGWP and was approved for 3 years until Jan 2019. I worked in an IT company for 2 years until Feb 2018 and started working in another IT company. Currently, I am inside Canada under visitor record.

On March 2018, I was charged with utter treat, assault which was filed by my ex-girlfriend. I was arrested by PEEL region police and the case is still pending.

On Jan 4th, 2019 before my expiration on my PGWP, I applied for a visitor extension(record) and was approved for 6 months until Aug 30, 2019 and currently my status is visitor record. On Jan31st 2019, I got an invitation to apply for PR under express entry. I disclosed all my pending criminal charges to CIC and they asked to complete fingerprinting and send it to them.

My criminal case is still pending, and I have a court date that I will need to be present in Brampton Court for the preliminary inquiry on Jan 21st and 22nd 2020.

Today Aug 6th 2019, I received a PPR letter from cic to send me my passport for my COPR. I am bit confused as to why my passport was requested at the moment while still my charges are pending? I already disclosed all my pending charges to CIC before I applied for my PR.
My Immi Lawyer advised to send the passport anyways. Please share your thoughts

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
a pending charge is Not a conviction , so I believe you don't have a criminal record yet , as far as IRCC concerns .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Normally your criminal charges need to go through the court process before you know whether you can move forward with the PR process. We have seen crazier things happen though. Would send in your passport, you have nothing to lose. We also don’t know the details of your case so hard to comment.

pradhasi

Feb 24, 2017
Normally your criminal charges need to go through the court process before you know whether you can move forward with the PR process. We have seen crazier things happen though. Would send in your passport, you have nothing to lose. We also don’t know the details of your case so hard to comment.
that is what I was thinking but strangely they asked for my passport request even when I disclosed everything to them before applying for my PR. my charges are domestic assault and utter threat which will most likely be dropped on Jan as the person who reported has left the country. Any other people have similar situation. Please let me know

Poem159

Apr 12, 2020
that is what I was thinking but strangely they asked for my passport request even when I disclosed everything to them before applying for my PR. my charges are domestic assault and utter threat which will most likely be dropped on Jan as the person who reported has left the country. Any other people have similar situation. Please let me know
Hi
Pradhasi

can you please update about your case? Have you got your pr? Pls help since im in similar situation. Need you urgent advice.

thanks

pradhasi

Feb 24, 2017
If you have got your passport request for PR even when you have disclosed all your charges to CIC before applying or after applying then you need to reply back to cic email stating that your charges are pending in court.
Do not try to hide the fact the your charges are still pending. If you send the passport to cic they may even send you copr however when you do landing or phone landing the cbsa will see your charges and that's when the issue arises. Your copr will be canceled and you might be in more trouble with cic.

The right thing to do now is read your passport request email carefully and somewhere at the bottom it will tell you that if any of your situation is changed eg criminal charges, marriage or something. You need to email cic asap and let them know.
They will email you back after few weeks and ask for court documents. You need to get your charges withdrawn, acquitted, discharged to your pr to be successful.

I hope this helps

I was in the similar situation however with gods graces I recieved a peace bond for my assult charges.

jonnyquest

Jul 29, 2015
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Jan 2016
Doc's Request.
13th May 2016
Nomination.....
13th Aug 2016
Hi,

Does that mean I am eligible to go do my landing if I get my COPR?
Yes Buddy!,
This means that ur case has been approved and cic is asking you to send your passport for stamping of pr visa.
Congratulation and have good life!

Ammy041997

Jun 18, 2021
I came to Canada as a Student back in 2012 and graduated in September 2015. I applied for my PGWP and was approved for 3 years until Jan 2019. I worked in an IT company for 2 years until Feb 2018 and started working in another IT company. Currently, I am inside Canada under visitor record.

On March 2018, I was charged with utter treat, assault which was filed by my ex-girlfriend. I was arrested by PEEL region police and the case is still pending.

On Jan 4th, 2019 before my expiration on my PGWP, I applied for a visitor extension(record) and was approved for 6 months until Aug 30, 2019 and currently my status is visitor record. On Jan31st 2019, I got an invitation to apply for PR under express entry. I disclosed all my pending criminal charges to CIC and they asked to complete fingerprinting and send it to them.

My criminal case is still pending, and I have a court date that I will need to be present in Brampton Court for the preliminary inquiry on Jan 21st and 22nd 2020.

Today Aug 6th 2019, I received a PPR letter from cic to send me my passport for my COPR. I am bit confused as to why my passport was requested at the moment while still my charges are pending? I already disclosed all my pending charges to CIC before I applied for my PR.
My Immi Lawyer advised to send the passport anyways. Please share your thoughts
Hi did you get your PR? I am in similar position, any info would help.