+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR parents child birth in USA

coolss

Jul 24, 2019
Hi.we both are Canadian PR but my wife has work Visa in usa and health insurance.If our child is born in USA will he be able to have canadian citizenship later and after child birth when mother and child move to canada how will he get health coverage in Ontario. Pls advice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi.we both are Canadian PR but my wife has work Visa in usa and health insurance.If our child is born in USA will he be able to have canadian citizenship later and after child birth when mother and child move to canada how will he get health coverage in Ontario. Pls advice.
Assuming you and your wife are both still PRs (not Canadian citizens) at the time the child is born, the first step will be for you to sponsor the child for PR. You cannot do this from the US and will have to wait until you have moved to Canada. The child will later qualify for Canadian citizenship. But the PR step has to come first.

The child will get health care coverage in Ontario once they are approved for PR. Until then, you will need to take out private insurance.

Reactions: coolss

coolss

Jul 24, 2019
Thanks for your reply. We both will be PR only at time of child birth.During current COVID times I hope PR application will take a year ( assuming myself) from USA. Or little more than a year..??So during that time if child mother wants to come to canada ( as she is a PR) with child,she will need a visa for child .Is it a issue to get a visa and passport for the newly born in newyork.( couple on H1B/ H4) And as she is on H1B will we get child insurance in USA via her employer?( Which I assume we can).Also in Ontario how expensive is child insurance going to be..any idea.and how easily a pediatrician can be available as we have heard that wait times are long due to vovid.pls advice.Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply. We both will be PR only at time of child birth.During current COVID times I hope PR application will take a year ( assuming myself) from USA. Or little more than a year..??So during that time if child mother wants to come to canada ( as she is a PR) with child,she will need a visa for child .Is it a issue to get a visa and passport for the newly born in newyork.( couple on H1B/ H4) And as she is on H1B will we get child insurance in USA via her employer?( Which I assume we can).Also in Ontario how expensive is child insurance going to be..any idea.and how easily a pediatrician can be available as we have heard that wait times are long due to vovid.pls advice.Thanks in advance.
I would plan on a year for the PR application to be processed. The baby won't need a visa. The baby will presumably be a US citizen at birth and will be able to travel to Canada on their US passport. I don't know the cost of travel insurance or the wait times for a pediatrician.

Some of your questions aren't related to the Canadian immigration process. I don't know if the child will be covered while in the US by your employer's insurance. You need to ask your employer this question. I don't know what the process is to get the child a US passport in NY or processing times. Suggest you post this question to a US immigration forum.

Reactions: coolss

andulka

Star Member
Jul 2, 2021
Anybody knows what is the procedure of obtaining Canadian citizenship for child born in the USA while both parents are Canadian citizens?

coolss

Jul 24, 2019
I would plan on a year for the PR application to be processed. The baby won't need a visa. The baby will presumably be a US citizen at birth and will be able to travel to Canada on their US passport. I don't know the cost of travel insurance or the wait times for a pediatrician.

Some of your questions aren't related to the Canadian immigration process. I don't know if the child will be covered while in the US by your employer's insurance. You need to ask your employer this question. I don't know what the process is to get the child a US passport in NY or processing times. Suggest you post this question to a US immigration forum.
Thanks a lot.it was helpful.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Anybody knows what is the procedure of obtaining Canadian citizenship for child born in the USA while both parents are Canadian citizens?
If at least one parent is naturalized or born in Canada, there is no such procedure since the baby will by Canadian at birth. You would need to apply for a "proof of citizenship" https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/eligibility.html

And if both Canadian parents were born outside Canada, well, the kid isn't a citizen at all and you can sponsor him for a PR once back in the country, then apply for a citizenship without waiting for the physical presence requirement.