+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR of minor child ....less than 18 yrs old

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC has this form for minor international students. You could use that as well. Found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

Raj chandigarh

Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
sep 2010
AOR Received.
jan 2011
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
jan 11
Med's Request
june 2012
Med's Done....
20 June ecas line appeared on 12/july
Interview........
hope not
Passport Req..
june 2012
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 31/8/12 visa issued on 28th aug 2012
thanks a lots...this link is quite usefull

thanks leon

Oct 24, 2016
Leon ,

I really appreciate your replies. Kindly let me know whether any other documentation is to be made apart from signing the custodianship form so that

1) The child's pr renewal is not affected

2) Child gets the OSAP funding for studies

3) Since the parents are not staying in Canada, do they need to file international tax returns to make the child eligible for OSAP, or it is not required

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajatsharma23456 said:
Leon ,

I really appreciate your replies. Kindly let me know whether any other documentation is to be made apart from signing the custodianship form so that

1) The child's pr renewal is not affected

2) Child gets the OSAP funding for studies

3) Since the parents are not staying in Canada, do they need to file international tax returns to make the child eligible for OSAP, or it is not required

Thanks
1) There should be no problem renewing his PR if he meets the RO. You can fill out and sign his PR renewal form and then mail it to your friend in Canada in order for him to mail it in. You can include his school records and the guardianship papers to show that he has been attending school in Canada and is living with your friend.

2) You said he is 15 and so he is still in high school and will not get OSAP for that. I don't think you can get CCTB for him either because in order to get that, you must be living in Canada with the child. It is however possible that your friend can get it. See http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/ccb/bfrppl-eng.html it says that a child must live with you and you are responsible for the daily needs of the child. Doesn't say it has to be your child so I think it's worth a try for your friend to apply for child benefit with the custody papers you gave him. Worst they can do is say no.

3) You can see different types of OSAP aid here: https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/A-ZListofAid/index.htm Note that some of them are for low income families and in that case, they will want proof of your income. You would have to talk to OSAP about what proof they would accept. The definition of a dependent student can be found here: https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/Help/Definitions/TCONT003466.html so basically if he's not married or in a common law relationship, he hasn't dropped out of school or studied part time for a couple of years and it's not yet 4 years since he left high school, he's considered your dependent.

Oct 24, 2016
Dear Leon,

I really appreciate your prompt replies.

1. For custodianship i have filled up IMM 5646 FORM ( by both parents and custodian , notarised also ). Is it sufficient to fill this custodianship form or some other guardianship form needs to be filled. Is there difference between custodianship or guardianship for my kind of requirement. Child is 16 plus and family PR expires in 2019 and parents are not with child. Do i need to make any other sort of unforeseen arrangements also or what i have done is sufficient.

2. Can my friend avail Child Tax Benefit after being custodian or he has to be guardian for that ( in case guardian is different from custodian)

3. Thanks for sharing information on OSAP also.

This forum is too good....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajatsharma23456 said:
Dear Leon,

I really appreciate your prompt replies.

1. For custodianship i have filled up IMM 5646 FORM ( by both parents and custodian , notarised also ). Is it sufficient to fill this custodianship form or some other guardianship form needs to be filled. Is there difference between custodianship or guardianship for my kind of requirement. Child is 16 plus and family PR expires in 2019 and parents are not with child. Do i need to make any other sort of unforeseen arrangements also or what i have done is sufficient.

2. Can my friend avail Child Tax Benefit after being custodian or he has to be guardian for that ( in case guardian is different from custodian)

3. Thanks for sharing information on OSAP also.

This forum is too good....
I don't know if he will need another form. Let him try to apply for child benefit for your child with the letter you gave him. If it doesn't work out, they may tell him that he needs another form that you can then do or they may tell him that he is not eligible. In any case, it's worth a try.

Oct 24, 2016
Dear Leon,

In fact i am a different subscriber. i am Rajat and not Raj. Just entered into this conversation since my case is also similar kinds.

Really appreciate the way you guys are servicing people.

Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajatsharma23456 said:
Dear Leon,

In fact i am a different subscriber. i am Rajat and not Raj. Just entered into this conversation since my case is also similar kinds.

Really appreciate the way you guys are servicing people.

Regards
Sorry I didn't notice the change of poster. I guess similar name, similar question :)

This is a volunteer forum and most of the advice here is good. If somebody on here gives the wrong information, somebody else will correct them.

sandeep nehra

Jul 13, 2017
Dear Mr Leon,

I also have a similar query :

1. We have family PR and son was shifted to Canada for Grad 11 schooling at the age of 16 plus
2. CIC website clearly mentions that minors can study if in Canada even if neither of parents stay with the minor,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=488&top=15

3. RO means that a stay of 730 days is required to renew the PR.

4. Does this clearly mean that the minor can stay and extend his PR after a stay of 730 days even if parents donot stay with him ??

5. As per CIC website custodian is required for minors studying in Canada for International students and have IMM 5646 form for the same. Does this form apply to PR minors also. I had appointed a custodian for him, filled up the IMM 5646 form when he was shifted. Now he is 17 plus. I am confused between legal guardian and custodian. What is the difference between the two and which one is required for him??

Can such a wrong decision of making legal guardian or custodian affect his PR renewal or this is just required for the well being of student for any untoward emergency situations like medical emergency,etc

Pls help . I would be highly thankful to you.