+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Obligation Time Shortfall

jsang

May 11, 2010
Hi All,

I landed in Canada first time on 10 June 2010 as a PR and went back to home country. I am again going to Canada to live in there permanently from 1 Aug 2013 onwards. My concern is that on 10 Jun 2015 I will be in Canada but will not be in a position to get the PR status renewed due to shortfall in required stay period 1095 days. My issues are:

(1) Even if I do not apply for PR card renewal, will Canadian authorities search for me and deport me on 10 June 2015.
(2) If this does not happen, can I apply for Citizenship on or after 2 Aug 2016, since I will be staying there for 3 years continuously then.

Thanks for your time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) No, they will not look for you. They do not have overview of all PR's and their whereabouts at all times so they do not know off hand that you don't meet the residency requirements. The only thing you have to worry about is when you enter Canada. If the immigration offices determine that you do not meet the residency requirements, they could report you for it and if they do, you will have to appeal for your PR. If you have no mitigating circumstances, you will lose your appeal.

However, if you get into Canada without being reported, you don't apply to renew your PR card, you don't apply to sponsor anybody and you don't leave, your PR status will be back in good standing as soon as you have stayed for a full 2 years and you can at that time apply to renew your PR card without any consequences.

2) Yes, you would be eligible to apply for citizenship after 3 years in Canada. I would not apply exactly after 1095 days. Give it an extra week at least.