+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Obligation Question

Lozada

Jul 14, 2013
Good Day! I have a question about how to keep my PR status. I got my PR Card last year of July. The expiry is on June 2018. I landed in Canada last April, 2014. I returned home to finish my work contract so as not to breach the contract. I came back to Canada last April of 2014. Unfortunately, I had to go home November 3 of this year because of my very ill grandmother who passed away recently. My mother is also very ill and is frequently in the hospital due to cancer. I also had to purchase a new house since our old one was destroyed by the floods brought about by the typhoon. I plan to go back to Canada as soon as April 2015. Is there any danger I might be questioned upon entry? Thanks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Lozada said:
Good Day! I have a question about how to keep my PR status. I got my PR Card last year of July. The expiry is on June 2018. I landed in Canada last April, 2014. I returned home to finish my work contract so as not to breach the contract. I came back to Canada last April of 2014. Unfortunately, I had to go home November 3 of this year because of my very ill grandmother who passed away recently. My mother is also very ill and is frequently in the hospital due to cancer. I also had to purchase a new house since our old one was destroyed by the floods brought about by the typhoon. I plan to go back to Canada as soon as April 2015. Is there any danger I might be questioned upon entry? Thanks.
I assume landing date was April 2013 (April 2014 a typo), given PR card expiration date in 2018 and "return" to Canada in April 2014. If so, there should be no questions about compliance with the residency obligation if you return to settle in Canada any time in 2015, probably not anytime before April 2016 or even months later. After that, luck and other circumstances factor into whether or not there will be "questions" about residency compliance.

(Note: even if you spent little time in Canada since landing, there is no way to breach the PR residency obligation anytime prior to the third anniversary of landing . . . so for a PR who landed April 20, 2013, there is no reason to doubt or question residency, at all, under any other circumstances, until after April 20, 2016 at the earliest.)

anna_laderas

Apr 14, 2015
Hello,

My sister is in Canada since 2008. She now have PR. And his son was also granted a visa and valid only until August 28, 2015. and it means that he has to land Canada on or before August 28, 2015, right?

As of now my mother who is very close of my nephew is very sick.

My question is there a possibility that we can request for an extension of the visa, maybe for another year?

If yes, what is the process, requirements and timeline?

Thank you very much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - he has to land on or before August 28, 2105.

Extensions aren't granted - it's use it or lose it.

If he wants PR status, he will have to land before the visa expires.

Badz

Sep 18, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hi anyone know if there are no chances for extension of a pr visa issued it very shortly I had been called by my representive to collect my passport and advice me that they receive the passport with granted visa as it's Friday I was not able to collect it and we seen that the visa is expiring in 2 dys which is they receive the passport on thru DHL Monday 24 of April and the expiration is 29 of April we are 4 traveller how can they give us this much of short time

Any one there who can share their experience as I am getting. Crazy if the CIC will return my passport with extension visa as I return the passport right away.. :mad:help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Badz said:
Hi anyone know if there are no chances for extension of a pr visa issued it very shortly I had been called by my representive to collect my passport and advice me that they receive the passport with granted visa as it's Friday I was not able to collect it and we seen that the visa is expiring in 2 dys which is they receive the passport on thru DHL Monday 24 of April and the expiration is 29 of April we are 4 traveller how can they give us this much of short time

Any one there who can share their experience as I am getting. Crazy if the CIC will return my passport with extension visa as I return the passport right away.. :mad:help
I don't think there's anything any of us can do to help. You should contact the visa office immediately.