+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligation day tracking

SaidaKhan

Apr 28, 2014
Is there anyone to contact or place to track how many days I have so far in Canada? I failed at keeping track all my entry from USA.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Is there anyone to contact or place to track how many days I have so far in Canada? I failed at keeping track all my entry from USA.
Of course YOU are the ONE BEST SOURCE of information for your personal travel history, since you are the one and only one who was for sure present every time you left and entered Canada. Yes, it can be a problem if the one best source cannot accurately or completely account for all cross-border travel. Especially for someone who has been a PR for decades and who should be well familiar with the need to account for days present, days absent.

There are various sources of information a PR can access to HELP reconstruct their travel history. A big help will be the CBSA travel history, which for most PRs will show ALL dates of entry into Canada and even if some are missing it should be very close to all.

PRs can also obtain entry into the U.S. history from the U.S. authorities as well. Means of doing this depends on status in the U.S.

There are other topics here in which the procedure for obtaining either of these records is discussed, and others here are more familiar than I am with the mechanics of actually obtaining these records.

Fortunately for PRs who fail to keep the sort of records they should be keeping, those two sources can be used to fill in MOST of the individual's travel history (and for many, this now will be all their history). Of course it is the PR's responsibility to get this information right, so the PR needs to go through his or her personal records to be sure to report any additional trips. A PR should be able to easily remember plane flights to countries other than the U.S., for example, and be sure to account for any such trips. And the PR can use credit card, email, tax returns, work records, and other personal records to help verify that all travel is accounted for.

CAUTION: Your other posts suggest you are NOT settled in Canada, even after being a PR for decades. And that you may be in breach of the Residency Obligation. It is not for-sure, but easy to apprehend you may at higher RISK for elevated scrutiny and strict enforcement of the PR RO. You many want to exercise more care in reconstructing your travel history than many others might.

And, for sure, it is time to start being responsible. Keep track. The IRCC website actually provides a printable form, a "travel journal," to use for this. See:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/record-trips-outside-canada.html

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
Are you an American citizen? If you are not, US border control keeps track of your entry/exit dates and they are available on I-94 website (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home). Look up your travel history there, and you can find the dates of your travel between the US and Canada. If you are an American citizen, they don't keep track.

skippingrock

Feb 20, 2008
How does one contact CBSA for their travel history? Especially in these COVID-19 days. We were planning to go to the airport to talk to someone there, but then this whole world mess happened and now the card has just expired because we couldn't get find an open photo studio to take a picture. Now things are starting to open up again, but still need advice on how to request and where best to go or to call to get this information?

Cheers and thank you. Be well everyone!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
How does one contact CBSA for their travel history? Especially in these COVID-19 days. We were planning to go to the airport to talk to someone there, but then this whole world mess happened and now the card has just expired because we couldn't get find an open photo studio to take a picture. Now things are starting to open up again, but still need advice on how to request and where best to go or to call to get this information?

Cheers and thank you. Be well everyone!
Guess start with a google search ?

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

skippingrock

Feb 20, 2008
thanks so much, I did try searching but until I came here I wasn't sure of the correct terminology; so thanks again!

Be well!