+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR living in Gatineau (Quebec)

camila447

Sep 20, 2018
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me.

I plan on arriving in Canada by next year directly with my PR through EE, and plan on settling in the Ottawa area. I understand housing in Gatineau can be a lot cheaper, but since it's in the province of Quebec, I have doubts about whether it would be okay for me to settle there?

- Can I easily apply for all the province services without the CSQ certificate? Such as public health, apply for a driver's license, etc?
- Upon arrival, can I inform an address in Gatineau or would that be a problem during immigration? Should I try getting an airbnb in Ottawa first?
- My spouse will join me later, would there be any problem with the spousal sponsorship process because of this?
- After a few years, when I can apply for citizenship, would living in Quebec be a problem for me?

I do not have a housing yet, just want to gather all the info since Gatineau seems cheaper to live and would like to know if I could keep it as an option.

Any other tips are welcome.

Thank you

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Your stated intentions must always be to settle outside Quebec until you've landed and had your COPR signed by an official at the border. If you give them an address in Gatineau, you'll be denied entry and likely charged with misrepresentation. In other words, get that Airbnb in Ottawa.

Afterward, as a PR you would enjoy Charter mobility rights to live anywhere in Canada, including Quebec, although if you move there almost immediately you could still be accused of misrepresentation on your application. You should be able to make a strong case that your intentions were indeed to settle outside Quebec when you applied and landed, and it was only later circumstances that led you to relocate. I would wait a few months if possible, or at least until you get your PR card mailed to you, your SIN, etc.

You can still receive basic services, a driver's licence, and a health card from the Quebec government without a CSQ. I think the only things you wouldn't get are Quebec resident tuition at colleges and universities, and free French classes for immigrants.

For sponsorship, you would have to submit extra paperwork to the Quebec government but that's about it. No difference for citizenship, unless (again) the government thinks you were dishonest about your initial intentions to settle outside Quebec.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Your stated intentions must always be to settle outside Quebec until you've landed and had your COPR signed by an official at the border. If you give them an address in Gatineau, you'll be denied entry and likely charged with misrepresentation. In other words, get that Airbnb in Ottawa.

Afterward, as a PR you would enjoy Charter mobility rights to live anywhere in Canada, including Quebec, although if you move there almost immediately you could still be accused of misrepresentation on your application. You should be able to make a strong case that your intentions were indeed to settle outside Quebec when you applied and landed, and it was only later circumstances that led you to relocate. I would wait a few months if possible, or at least until you get your PR card mailed to you, your SIN, etc.

You can still receive basic services, a driver's licence, and a health card from the Quebec government without a CSQ. I think the only things you wouldn't get are Quebec resident tuition at colleges and universities, and free French classes for immigrants.

For sponsorship, you would have to submit extra paperwork to the Quebec government but that's about it. No difference for citizenship, unless (again) the government thinks you were dishonest about your initial intentions to settle outside Quebec.
1. The OP should compare the income tax rates between Ontario and Quebec.
2. Provincial Rate for Ontario $43K-$87K 9.15%, Quebec 20%

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are pros and cons of living on each side of the border between Ottawa/Hull. As others have pointed out housing is only a small fraction. It also depends where you get a job. You could end up commuting for hours each way. Ontario tends to have better services than Hull/Gatineau. People are allowed to seek healthcare in Ottawa but they are cracking down on this because Quebec takes forever to repay and the charges are much higher than in Quebec. Income taxes are higher, as mentioned, so you may not be saving that much. In general people need to see where they will be working before securing a place to live especially if they will be dependent or partially dependent on public transportation.

Yes you can move to Quebec but must land in another province first. You will not have access to certain services like French language classes.