+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR living abroad with Canadian Spouse

conn1

Jan 1, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I have a few questions concerning our plans to move back to Canada.
I am a PR landed in 1995 lived in Canada for 12 years, married a Canadian and moved back to my home country Switzerland due to family issues. I have been back in Switzerland for 12 years and my husband has been here 10 years. I have applied for a PRTD 2 times in the past I have asked for long term multiple entry PRTD both times and received PRTD without issues each time but they were both only valid for 6 months. No reason mentioned why I can't get multiple entry PRTD.
Now we are seriously thinking of moving back to Canada permanently but there are some concerns I have which I hope someone can help me with.
During the time back in Switzerland I lost my Social Insurance Card, I don't have any paperwork which shows this number. I am pretty confident that I know my SIN by heart, but I searched online and saw that I need a valid PR in order for them to be able to confirm it.
Same thing goes for getting Health Insurance coverage, and since I can't apply to renew my PR card until I am in the country, my fear is that we give up everything here on a whole bunch of maybes, I mean technically all I will likely have is a PRTD which will be expired shortly after landing if they issue me one valid for 6 months again.
And a PR card which expired in 2009.
Is there anything I can do from abroad to not have to wait 6 months before I can do anything in Canada (get a job, healthcare coverage etc.)
I look forward to hearing your input. Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you move to provinces like Ontario, you can buy a private health insurance online so that you have health coverage before OHIP kicks in. While you are in Switzerland, you can also buy a house in Canada unseen.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone,
I have a few questions concerning our plans to move back to Canada.
I am a PR landed in 1995 lived in Canada for 12 years, married a Canadian and moved back to my home country Switzerland due to family issues. I have been back in Switzerland for 12 years and my husband has been here 10 years. I have applied for a PRTD 2 times in the past I have asked for long term multiple entry PRTD both times and received PRTD without issues each time but they were both only valid for 6 months. No reason mentioned why I can't get multiple entry PRTD.
Now we are seriously thinking of moving back to Canada permanently but there are some concerns I have which I hope someone can help me with.
During the time back in Switzerland I lost my Social Insurance Card, I don't have any paperwork which shows this number. I am pretty confident that I know my SIN by heart, but I searched online and saw that I need a valid PR in order for them to be able to confirm it.
Same thing goes for getting Health Insurance coverage, and since I can't apply to renew my PR card until I am in the country, my fear is that we give up everything here on a whole bunch of maybes, I mean technically all I will likely have is a PRTD which will be expired shortly after landing if they issue me one valid for 6 months again.
And a PR card which expired in 2009.
Is there anything I can do from abroad to not have to wait 6 months before I can do anything in Canada (get a job, healthcare coverage etc.)
I look forward to hearing your input. Thank you
Hi

Do you not have your Record of Landing? If you don't, an option is to apply for Verification of Status. Service Canada accepts that for confirming a SIN.

conn1

Jan 1, 2019
Thank you for your advice both of you.
We would be moving to Manitoba that's where we were last time.
I don't have my Record of Landing document anymore...I have gotten a verification of Status document in the past in 2012 I believe and still have it. But I assume it probably needs to be more recent?
Another question I have is it possible to be denied a PR card renewal if I apply for it as soon as I am in Canada with a PRTD?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your advice both of you.
We would be moving to Manitoba that's where we were last time.
I don't have my Record of Landing document anymore...I have gotten a verification of Status document in the past in 2012 I believe and still have it. But I assume it probably needs to be more recent?
Another question I have is it possible to be denied a PR card renewal if I apply for it as soon as I am in Canada with a PRTD?
They don't state a validity requirement for it, so you should be fine to use the one you have.

No, you will not be denied renewal.

Reactions: conn1

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why would anyone want to do that? Buying a house unseen?
I would do that especially if I am buying a pre-construction condo, townhouse or detached house from a reputable developer. If you live in metro Vancouver, you know what I mean.

Last edited: