+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing Interview.

codylaurenn

Mar 2, 2021
Hello everyone!
I am just wondering if I can have some advice! I am currently in the last staged of a PR application under the sponsorship class. I am aware there will need to be a landing interview to finish the process, I have a worry- I was refused entry to Canada in 2017 and signed an "Allowed To Leave Canada" form at the time. I visited after this happened and just had secondary screening each time, which was fine. I then moved to Canada in 2018 on a work permit and filed for PR in 2020. I disclosed the situation from 2017 in my PR application. Will this affect my landing interview in any way? Can I be refused? Thanks so much! I am also an inland applicant if that's any help, just getting anxious and worried. Thanks again!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone!
I am just wondering if I can have some advice! I am currently in the last staged of a PR application under the sponsorship class. I am aware there will need to be a landing interview to finish the process, I have a worry- I was refused entry to Canada in 2017 and signed an "Allowed To Leave Canada" form at the time. I visited after this happened and just had secondary screening each time, which was fine. I then moved to Canada in 2018 on a work permit and filed for PR in 2020. I disclosed the situation from 2017 in my PR application. Will this affect my landing interview in any way? Can I be refused? Thanks so much! I am also an inland applicant if that's any help, just getting anxious and worried. Thanks again!
It seems your situation is well known so just tell the truth in an interview. If you were allowed in on a work permit and then the PR application (spousal) gets approved, no evident reason you should worry about it.

Note, with inland these days they appear to be doing mostly virtual landings and it seems often the landing interviews are not happening at all.

Reactions: codylaurenn

codylaurenn

Mar 2, 2021
It seems your situation is well known so just tell the truth in an interview. If you were allowed in on a work permit and then the PR application (spousal) gets approved, no evident reason you should worry about it.

Note, with inland these days they appear to be doing mostly virtual landings and it seems often the landing interviews are not happening at all.
Thank you so much for the response, very helpful! :)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
What should we expect during the PR interview? Any ideas?
Thanks
OP is an inland applicant. Are you applying from inside of Canada?

The process is very different inland and outland for spousal/family sponsorship.
Outland interviews are mostly about the question of the relationship.

The inland landing interview disucussed here is a formality that all inland applicant used to attend before COVID. Most of those are done vitually if done at all now during COVID.

KoKo_

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Thx for the response. So basically its more or less verification that the relationship between the main applicant and dependents is genuine.

We are Outlanders and landing soon; fingers crossed. In the process of packing /resigning and get acquainted in regards to the 3 days hotel quarantine.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thx for the response. So basically its more or less verification that the relationship between the main applicant and dependents is genuine.

We are Outlanders and landing soon; fingers crossed. In the process of packing /resigning and get acquainted in regards to the 3 days hotel quarantine.
There's not really an interview per se for outlanders landing - it's just the landing process. They may ask normal questions just to clarify while they're doing the process, who is who, confirmation of identity, etc., but I don't believe it's an 'interview' in any meaningful sense in your case.

(Of course, if they note or discover anything that clearly doesn't correspond to the file, they might do something, even if the intent isn't to verify per se - it's not a test but mostly confirmation that nothing has changed)

Note, there are a few things where they will require you to sign and they may be more or less formal about this - i.e. you must sign the COPR on landing in front of the officer, and that has the language 'I hereby certify the above statements are true and correct and understand the conditions imposed.'

One of the key parts of that is COPR has statement 'have you any dependents other than those listed below' - it's extremely significant because undisclosed dependents (incl a spouse) can never be sponsored.

So it's legally very significant - not a test but they may be formal so that the PRs can't deny in future that they didn't know about this.

Reactions: YVR123 and KoKo_

KoKo_

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
There's not really an interview per se for outlanders landing - it's just the landing process. They may ask normal questions just to clarify while they're doing the process, who is who, confirmation of identity, etc., but I don't believe it's an 'interview' in any meaningful sense in your case.

(Of course, if they note or discover anything that clearly doesn't correspond to the file, they might do something, even if the intent isn't to verify per se - it's not a test but mostly confirmation that nothing has changed)

Note, there are a few things where they will require you to sign and they may be more or less formal about this - i.e. you must sign the COPR on landing in front of the officer, and that has the language 'I hereby certify the above statements are true and correct and understand the conditions imposed.'

One of the key parts of that is COPR has statement 'have you any dependents other than those listed below' - it's extremely significant because undisclosed dependents (incl a spouse) can never be sponsored.

So it's legally very significant - not a test but they may be formal so that the PRs can't deny in future that they didn't know about this.
Good to know... Many thx

Reactions: armoured