+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR landing experience and getting back to US using AVR

sharadrast

Oct 4, 2018
Hi All,

I wanted to share my PR landing experience and getting back to US using AVR. I took a rental car in Buffalo and arrived at the Peace Bridge CBSA post on October 1, 2018 (Monday) around 11:40 am.There were very few cars in the queue.

Me: Hi, I'm doing my PR landing today.
Officer: We do landings only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (assuming that I was doing flagpoling). Looked at my passport and asked me how long I've been in the US.

Me: Almost 6 years.
O: Then you are lucky.

O: Are you moving to Canada today?
Me: No. I'm headed to my friend's place in Toronto.

O: When do you plan to move to Canada?
Me: In the next 3-4 months.

O: How long are you gonna stay in Canada?
Me: Just one day

O: What are you bringing with you today? Nothing?
Me: Just my clothes.

He gave me a yellow slip and asked to park my car and go inside the office behind him.

I walked in and another officer made hand gesture to come forward to the counter. Handed my passport, COPR and the yellow slip to him and he asked me to take a seat.

There were 4-5 people before me. I waited for about 40 mins and then a lady officer called my last name.

Lady Officer: I'm going to do your PR formality paperwork today.
Me: Ok

Asked me put my initials and signature on both the COPRs and then asked me the regular questions (like do I have a family member who is not listed or my marital status changed after the PR approval, have I ever been denied entry into Canada or a visa for Canada, do I have any health conditions etc) to all of which I answered "No".

LO: Do you have an address in Canada?
Me: Yes

LO: What is it?
Me: Gave my friend's Toronto address.

After putting all the information on the COPR she stapled the second copy to my passport and put the entry stamp.

LO: You are a Canadian PR now. You have all the rights as a citizen except that you cannot vote. Your PR card will arrive at the given address in 6-8 weeks. Keep the second copy of the COPR safe as you would need it when applying for citizenship.
Me: Thank you.

I walked out, got into my car, payed 3.75 US dollar at the toll and was on my way. I went to the Service Canada Centre and got the SIN in around 30 mins.

Stayed at my friend's place in Toronto and drove back to the Rainbow bridge at Niagara Falls next morning to enter the US. There was no queue and I arrived at the CBP post around 11:50 am.

Me: Hi
Officer: What's your country of nationality?
Me: India

Handed my passport and I797A.

O: Where are you coming from?
Me: Toronto

O: Where are you headed to?
Me: New Jersey

O: Where do you work?
Me: Gave my employer's name

He looked at my passport and was like "Oh you already have a visa and entry stampings from before. He gave a white slip, asked me to park the car and head to the 2nd floor in the building behind him. There were around 15-20 people sitting there and the officers were calling names. Took about 15-20 mins before an officer called my name.

O: What do you do for work?
Me: Told him

O: You didn't have to come upstairs, you didn't read the notice.
Me: Oh really!

Asked to head to counter 7.

O: Checked the info in his system, tore the I94 section from my I797A, stapled it in my passport and put the entry stamp. What's your address in the US?
Me: Gave him the address

O: Handed my documents and gave me a small piece of paper with the same entry stamp as in my passport. He said "You are all set".
Me: Thank you

I took the elevator and another officer downstairs collected the piece of paper from me and said "You are all set".

I was out of there and on my way.

In all, it was a smooth process both on the Canadian and the US side. Good luck to everyone! The officer was well aware of AVR.

Note: For people doing flagpoling for PR landing, it can only be done on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays but if you are coming from the US, it can be done any day.

Last edited:

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
Hi All,

I wanted to share my PR landing experience and getting back to US using AVR. I took a rental car in Buffalo and arrived at the Peace Bridge CBSA post on October 1, 2018 (Monday) around 11:40 am.There were very few cars in the queue.

Officer: We do landings only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (assuming that I was doing flagpoling). Looked at my passport and asked me how long I've been in the US.

He gave me a yellow slip and asked to park my car and go inside the office behind him.

I walked in and another officer made hand gesture to come forward to the counter. Handed my passport, COPR and the yellow slip to him and he asked me to take a seat.

There were 4-5 people before me. I waited for about 40 mins and then a lady officer called my last name.

Asked me put my initials and signature on both the COPRs and then asked me the regular questions (like do I have a family member who is not listed or my marital status changed after the PR approval, have I ever been denied entry into Canada or a visa for Canada, do I have any health conditions etc) to all of which I answered "No".

After putting all the information on the COPR she stapled the second copy to my passport and put the entry stamp.

LO: You are a Canadian PR now. You have all the rights as a citizen except that you cannot vote. Your PR card will arrive at the given address in 6-8 weeks. Keep the second copy of the COPR safe as you would need it when applying for citizenship.

I walked out, got into my car, payed 3.75 US dollar at the toll and was on my way. I went to the Service Canada Centre and got the SIN in around 30 mins.

Stayed at my friend's place in Toronto and drove back to the Rainbow bridge at Niagara Falls next morning to enter the US. There was no queue and I arrived at the CBP post around 11:50 am.

He looked at my passport and was like "Oh you already have a visa and entry stampings from before. He gave a white slip, asked me to park the car and head to the 2nd floor in the building behind him. There were around 15-20 people sitting there and the officers were calling names. Took about 15-20 mins before an officer called my name.

O: Checked the info in his system, tore the I94 section from my I797A, stapled it in my passport and put the entry stamp. What's your address in the US?

O: Handed my documents and gave me a small piece of paper with the same entry stamp as in my passport. He said "You are all set".

I took the elevator and another officer downstairs collected the piece of paper from me and said "You are all set".

In all, it was a smooth process both on the Canadian and the US side. Good luck to everyone! The officer was well aware of AVR.

Note: For people doing flagpoling for PR landing, it can only be done on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays but if you are coming from the US, it can be done any day.
Hello
Thank you for providing detailed description of your landing in Canada.
If I have expired H1b visa but with approved extension (I dnt have i140 approved yet)can I reenter USA without any problem?
Thanx in advance

sharadrast

Oct 4, 2018
Yes, you can use your I797A for the approved extension and the expired stamped H1-B on your passport to re-enter USA using AVR.

kalgi101

Oct 5, 2018
Hi All,

Hi,

I have few questions as I am travelling to next week. Would you mind if PM you?

Malathy

Aug 29, 2018
Hi, Thanks for sharing your experience.
I am planning landing this month and use AVR. is it ok if i can ask u some questions over email or call ?

Thanks
Malathy

Hi All,

Nov 28, 2018
Hi All,

Hello there, thank you for sharing your experience. I am planning to do my landing on a weekend. I was wondering if I can get my SIN during the weekend. If not, can I apply for it through mail? Please let me know if you have any idea about it.

Thank you,

sharadrast

Oct 4, 2018
Hi, SIN is issued by Service Canada Center which is closed on the weekend. I'm talking about the one in Niagara Falls. Check if you can find any other SCC which is open on weekends (which I doubt). I'm not sure about the mail option better check with SCC.

Nov 28, 2018
Hi, SIN is issued by Service Canada Center which is closed on the weekend. I'm talking about the one in Niagara Falls. Check if you can find any other SCC which is open on weekends (which I doubt). I'm not sure about the mail option better check with SCC.
Thank you for the information. I am planning to do my landing on Sunday, get my SIN and drive back to US on Monday.

Btw, since I am coming back to USA using AVR, does anyone know if I need to surrender the paper form I-94 while exiting the US border? Please let me know.

Thank you.

sharadrast

Oct 4, 2018
Thank you for the information. I am planning to do my landing on Sunday, get my SIN and drive back to US on Monday.

Btw, since I am coming back to USA using AVR, does anyone know if I need to surrender the paper form I-94 while exiting the US border? Please let me know.

Malathy

Aug 29, 2018
I finished my canada PR landing and came to US using AVR through Toronto. It is such a smooth process. You don't even have to tell the american airlines center or immigration officer about using AVR rule, they know that automatically. For all those who have doubts in their mind about using AVR, i would say pls dont be scared. As long as you have a valid i94 and valid I797A, you are good.... Best of luck and if you have any questions pls post and i can help .

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I finished my canada PR landing and came to US using AVR through Toronto. It is such a smooth process. You don't even have to tell the american airlines center or immigration officer about using AVR rule, they know that automatically. For all those who have doubts in their mind about using AVR, i would say pls dont be scared. As long as you have a valid i94 and valid I797A, you are good.... Best of luck and if you have any questions pls post and i can help .
Hey buddy I will be doing my soft landing next week and will be reentering USA using AVR. Good to read that it is smooth. Did you use AVR at Toronto airport? Could you give some details how did it go at airport?

duytuanbme

Oct 4, 2018
Hi All,

Hi sharadrast, I just know of the AVR process recently and I'm a bit confused. I'm holding an expired F1 visa and will have to travel to Canada soon (when the border is open again). May I ask that when my F1 visa is revalidated by the CBP, does it mean that it will be extended or I can just use it as a document to enter US that time only? Also, how many times can I go through the AVR process? Thank you!

chancan

Jan 6, 2020
Philadelphia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
Hi sharadrast, I just know of the AVR process recently and I'm a bit confused. I'm holding an expired F1 visa and will have to travel to Canada soon (when the border is open again). May I ask that when my F1 visa is revalidated by the CBP, does it mean that it will be extended or I can just use it as a document to enter US that time only? Also, how many times can I go through the AVR process? Thank you!
Hello,
I am in the same boat as you. Expired F1 Visa. Could you share with me any details on soft landing in this situation, if you have any new updates.
Thanks in Advance.

duytuanbme

Oct 4, 2018
Hello,
I am in the same boat as you. Expired F1 Visa. Could you share with me any details on soft landing in this situation, if you have any new updates.
Thanks in Advance.
Hi, I'm not a PR. I'm just holding an expired F1 visa and would like to travel to Canada to visit my relatives. However from the information that I collected so far, I can confirm that you can use AVR as long as you still have a legal status in the US and can provide all required documents (I20, I94, etc) when asked by the CBP.

You can try google "US AVR experience" and there should be a lot of information on this forum. For example: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/automatic-visa-revalidation-avr-to-enter-usa.604996/page-11#post-8617942

Hope it helps!