+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR is received before our newborn`s birth. Sponsorship & other ways of taking baby to Canada with us

aldiyora91

Jun 15, 2022
Hi guys, I think some of you may face or have already faced the same situation as ours.

We got our PR last month and recently, our baby girl has been born, meaning that we can not add her to our PR application anymore. Now my husband has to go to Canada on his own leaving me (PR holder) and our newborn in our home country.

Question: Can we apply for a temporary visitor visa for our newborn and take her with us to Canada and from there apply for sponsorship? Because we risk living separately for almost 12 months till our baby's sponsorship application is getting processed. Has anyone had such an experience? If yes, how long did it take you to arrange a visitor visa?

Many thanks )))

aldiyora91

Jun 15, 2022
Hi! We got our PPR in May 30th, now our passports are with VFS Canada getting processed and soon we should receive our passport with visas back.

Mohammed9502

Jun 15, 2022
Hii, My situation is quite similar to yours. Our PR application got approved in March while I was in canada and my wife was in india. She got her passport stamped in the same month. Delivery date was due in April bcoz of which she was not able to travel and delivered our baby in india itself. The issue is she has to enter canada before Aug 24, and we cannot leave our child in india.

So if anyone can advice me which visa to apply so that it will be processed as soon as possible and she can travel along with her mother.

aldiyora91

Jun 15, 2022
Hi Mohammed, first of all congratulations on your baby and PR!

Wait, why your wife has to enter Canada before Aug 24 , 2022? CoPR allows 12 month for PR holders to enter isnt it?

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Hi! We got our PPR in May 30th, now our passports are with VFS Canada getting processed and soon we should receive our passport with visas back.
If you haven't actually landed then I think you HAVE to declare the newborn before landing or you won't be able to sponsor the baby. You need to inform IRCC immediately about the baby

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You MUST add your newborn to your app immediately, BEFORE landing (travelling to Canada).

This is a change in family composition and you MUST communicate it to IRCC.

To be clear, the confusion and my question above was how you 'got PR' before your spouse seemed to have landed. PR here generally means PR status, which you do not have until you land in Canada. You got the PPR (passport request), which is not the same.

To be clear: declaring your child to IRCC is NOT optional. Huge problems await if not.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123 and DimT44

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
echoing other memebers' replies.
DO NO land without a NEW COPR/PPR that includes the baby.

2 cases since OP wasn't clear on the situation:
1) one of the parents are already PR and is sponsoring the spouse. the one whose already PR can travel. But the sponsored spouse cannot land with the stamped passport. You need to notify IRCC and add the new born to the sponsorship application. Then the spouse and the baby will get updated PPR and land as PRs together
2) the family applied PR through some economic stream and both parents get PPR. And the baby was born before any of the parents has yet landed in Canada.
DO NOT travel with the stamped passports. Contact IRCC and add the new born to the application. New COPRs/stamped passport including the new born are needed before any of the family can land in Canada as PR.

If you landed without adding the baby in the application, the baby can NEVER be sponsored as part of the family.

Mohammed9502

Jun 15, 2022
Hi Mohammed, first of all congratulations on your baby and PR!

Wait, why your wife has to enter Canada before Aug 24 , 2022? CoPR allows 12 month for PR holders to enter isnt it?
Thank you. Yeah it has to be till 12 months but in my case the medical expires on the same date, so the validity of COPR is for that much time only i think.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Wanted to add that you may be tempted to think that adding the newborn will slow things down and delay the process, and it will, but not nearly as much as not declaring the baby will. If you don't declare the baby expect that baby will not be able to live in Canada.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012