+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR holder residing outside canada with my son and husband who are both citizen

raspotine007

Feb 28, 2013
I Got my PR card back in 2006, and renewed in 2011, but since 2008 i have been living abroad with my husband and son, they are both canadian citizens. my husband work for microsoft in Dubai. I did apply for my citizenship in 2010, but i abadoned my application because i found out that the days i spent outside canada with my husband doesnt' count because he doesn't work for the canada government, provincial or armed forces.
my question, will i be able to renew my PR card again ? what are the permanent residency obligation for me to maintain my PR , knowing that i am accompanying my son and husband who are both citizens of canada?
are the days spent outside canada count towards the renewal of my pr? will i have problem if i go back to canada?
thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your days spent with a Canadian husband outside Canada count towards your PR residency requirements so you can not lose your PR as long as you stay with your husband at least 2/5 years.

raspotine007

Feb 28, 2013
Hi Leon, thanks for your prompt reply..is their an official link or document from the CIC that states that...last time i visited canada in june of 2012, the immigration officers stopped me for like 2 hours and harrassed me, they even told me that this is a warning you should be living in Canada if you are a pr holder. yes i told them i have been living in dubai with my husband who is citizen and my son..

raspotine007

Feb 28, 2013
Hi Leon, adding to my previous question, even if my husband doesnt work with the public service
of Canada or a province or for the Canadian armed forces, those days will count towards the pr obligation? i can't pull a document from CIC that clearly states that....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - still applies. See "Time spent outside of Canada" in this guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf - page 7 said:
Pursuant to A28(2), a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation provisions with respect to a five-year period if, for at least 730 days in that five-year period, the permanent resident is physically present in Canada, or:
is outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or is a child accompanying a parent;
• is outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province;
• is an accompanying spouse, common-law partner or child of a permanent resident who is outside Canada and is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province.
and

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf - page 10 said:
A28(2)(a)(ii) and (iv) provide that each day a permanent resident is outside of Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse, common-law partner or, in the case of a child, a parent with whom they ordinarily reside, it is deemed a day of physical presence in Canada.

raspotine007

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks everyone for your response. I need one more clarification! For tax purposes my husband want to submit a request to Canada revenue agency declaring non resident of Canada! the question is how will that affect me as his wife holding a pr card? will I be able to renew my pr card later? Or I have to surrender my pr card? It is a bit confusing since the immigration law states that my time staying outside Canada still considered and counted toward my residence obligations if my husband is a citizen! But will it be different if my husband declares officially non resident for tax purposes?
Kindly advise... Thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
raspotine007 said:
Thanks everyone for your response. I need one more clarification! For tax purposes my husband want to submit a request to Canada revenue agency declaring non resident of Canada! the question is how will that affect me as his wife holding a pr card? will I be able to renew my pr card later? Or I have to surrender my pr card? It is a bit confusing since the immigration law states that my time staying outside Canada still considered and counted toward my residence obligations if my husband is a citizen! But will it be different if my husband declares officially non resident for tax purposes?
Kindly advise... Thanks in advance
Being resident or non-resident for tax purposes has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship or PR. You can be a non-resident for tax purposes and still be a citizen or a PR. Your PR is only tied to meeting the residency obligation and that is to either stay in Canada 730 days in any 5 yr. period or stay with your Canadian spouse outside Canada for the same.