+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR holder - Job Offer Opportunity (Overseas)

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
IF someone with some Canadian Academic qualification (ie. Canadian Diploma since 2012), soft landed, got their PR card and went to home country after.

How hard it's to be interviewed from overseas and receive a job offer? (Given He/She is Canadian Permanent Resident but living overseas).

My plan is to soft land, get the PR card and provincial healthcare card, return back to my home country (save money + finalise any commitment), apply for Canadian jobs online. Not sure if this has worked for anyone?

I have no options, I think this is my best arrangement. Please advise! Thank you

Reactions: rehanacca

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IF someone with some Canadian Academic qualification (ie. Canadian Diploma since 2012), soft landed, got their PR card and went to home country after.

How hard it's to be interviewed from overseas and receive a job offer? (Given He/She is Canadian Permanent Resident but living overseas).

My plan is to soft land, get the PR card and provincial healthcare card, return back to my home country (save money + finalise any commitment), apply for Canadian jobs online. Not sure if this has worked for anyone?

I have no options, I think this is my best arrangement. Please advise! Thank you
It isn't impossible but you will find it quite difficult IMO.

Btw regarding your plan be aware that you do not get the PR card immediately after landing, last time I checked it was taking 6-8 weeks for it to arrive and that's assuming there are no issues with your photo.

Also, depending on the province in which you'l be residing it would take even more time than that to get your health card.

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
It isn't impossible but you will find it quite difficult IMO.

Btw regarding your plan be aware that you do not get the PR card immediately after landing, last time I checked it was taking 6-8 weeks for it to arrive and that's assuming there are no issues with your photo.

Also, depending on the province in which you'l be residing it would take even more time than that to get your health card.
Thanks for reply DelPiero07. A friend of mine would be mailing the card after it's received. Re: the healthcare card, not too concerned about it. I'm more likely to present my PR card with any resume submission/ job application and put a local phone number.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You don't qualify for a health card until you move to Canada on a permanent basis. You can apply for a SIN and even a driver's license.

Last edited:

sam_dawkins

Jul 24, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
04-01-2017 (RCMP Criminal Record Check) Submitted 20-01-2017
Nomination.....
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
25-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2018
LANDED..........
11-01-2018
I would say very hard. Most of the companies will ask for onsite interview and for which you will be required to be present physically. Also, some companies look for local phone number in the resume. So, unless you are physically present in Canada, it is very difficult to get job from overseas with online application only.

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
You don't qualify for a health card until you move to Canada on a permanent basis. You can apply for a SIN and even a driver's license.
Thanks for reply. I am not too concerned about the health card.
A friend of mine got very sick when they first landed in Canada, at that time he haven't even received their PR card yet but he was using their COPR Letter to access healthcare services while waiting for the actual PR card in mail.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for reply. I am not too concerned about the health card.
A friend of mine got very sick when they first landed in Canada, at that time he haven't even received their PR card yet but he was using their COPR Letter to access healthcare services while waiting for the actual PR card in mail.
If you are only doing a soft landing you won't meet the residency requirement to qualify fo health care unless you are returning right after your short landing. There are some provinces where you will qualify right away but you would have to remain in the country in order not to have to reimburse the services. Some provinces do not give you coverage for around 3 months even with COPR. Rule applies to everyone including citizens.

Last edited:

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
If you are only doing a soft landing you won't meet the residency requirement to qualify fo health care unless you are returning right after your short landing. There are some provinces where you will qualify right away but you would have to remain in the country in order not to have to reimburse the services. Some provinces do not give you coverage for around 3 months even with COPR. Rule applies to everyone including citizens.
Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it! It's ok - again- not too concerned about provincial health card. I am looking more into job prospective while overseas with a Canadian PR and local number on resume.

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
I would say very hard. Most of the companies will ask for onsite interview and for which you will be required to be present physically. Also, some companies look for local phone number in the resume. So, unless you are physically present in Canada, it is very difficult to get job from overseas with online application only.
How about a subscription service that offer a local phone number with a local code (ie +416 for Toronto)?

Having the PR card sure guarantees HR Recruiters that I am legally allowed to work in Canada without any extra effort on their side, but just awaiting an opportunity

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

You will probably need to have at least an on-site interview. Not impossible but be prepare that you might not even get one. Beware of time zone different of the initial call from the hiring agent.

Reactions: sam_dawkins

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
You will probably need to have at least an on-site interview. Not impossible but be prepare that you might not even get one. Beware of time zone different of the initial call from the hiring agent.
I'm prepared for the worst honestly, but hoping for the best. Trying all possible ways until I reach my dream!
cảm ơn bạn for reply! :) *Been in CA before and had a friend from Vitn. sharing the same last name

Reactions: OdinNguyen

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it! It's ok - again- not too concerned about provincial health card. I am looking more into job prospective while overseas with a Canadian PR and local number on resume.
Jist educating because people accidently commit healthcare fraud.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
It is certainly possible to apply for jobs from abroad. The physical PR card will not be needed for application, it will only be needed when you actually join the company. But like above, most employers will need an onsite interview. Initial screenings can be done over phone or video-conference.

You can do the following. Start applying online. Line up some interviews. Then do the landing and plan to stay for 2 or 3 weeks to attend the interviews.