+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR holder, but having cold feet now!!

vineet_120191

May 20, 2017
Hello Guys,

After a year of patience, work and planning, I've got the PR and flying to toronto on June 29th from India. But thinking about the job hunt and expenses there, I am kind of scared now :(

Currently I am in Gurgaon, earning handsomly as per the indian standards (approx. 90k a month). I am single, in IT field and I'll looking for a job there in the same field (with no canadian experience as of now). I am happy here in India but I always had this..urge..to go out, explore and live..hence I decided to apply for the PR in first place.

Good thing is, I don't have to leave my current job right now (before going there) as I can work from there for 6 months (hence, having enough money for survival).

What would you guys suggest? Is it still worth to go and settle there?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Nobody will say it is easy but given as you say you can still seems work remotely for some months you are better off than most new immigrants who have to take a big leap of faith into the unknown.

You can complete your landing and give the job search a go but if in those few months doesn’t work out straight away you can go home for near 3 years before you need to return to Canada to maintain your residency obligation.

Having got this far if you don’t at least complete your landing you will probably look back and have some regrets even though it is not going to be a cheap exercise. Maybe do plenty of research on costs and scan all the job sites to draft your resume in a Canadian format ready to hit ground running.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
A lot will depend on the specific skill and experience that you possess. Also, select a final destination in Canada that is compatible with your intended career. You have the advantage of being able to apply for jobs that specify a requirement to be able to work with no immigration restrictions. A lot of the IT jobs that I see advertised have a "Canadian/PR required" clause.

Good luck.

vineet_120191

May 20, 2017
Hello zardoz,

Thank you for the positive response!
I hope that I would be able to get interview calls there. I am a business analyst by profession, and so technically, there should be ample opportunities.
I have decided to land in Toronto, as its the major Canadian IT hub. Well, I didn't know about many opportunities being marked as "Canadian/PR required" over there, so thank you for sharing that :)

Bastman

Jun 12, 2017
Hi Vineet,
Having cold feet going outside you comfort zone is normal. Try to get married and you would know;)
On the serious note, I would say if you have come so far why not give a shot and then decide what's good for you.You are at minimal risks being single.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are young and single so think of it as an adventure. Luckily seems like you have a good situation to fall back on if you don't like Canada. Canada has been romanticized a bit too much. Some will find the adjustment in their lifestyle is too much for them. The cost of living is much higher here. Canadian citizens also struggle as well. Would encourage you to jump in an see if becoming a Canadian is right for you. One of those things where you have to give your full effort. If you come to Canada but are thinking of home the results are just not as good.

Best of luck.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Hello Guys,

After a year of patience, work and planning, I've got the PR and flying to toronto on June 29th from India. But thinking about the job hunt and expenses there, I am kind of scared now :(

Currently I am in Gurgaon, earning handsomly as per the indian standards (approx. 90k a month). I am single, in IT field and I'll looking for a job there in the same field (with no canadian experience as of now). I am happy here in India but I always had this..urge..to go out, explore and live..hence I decided to apply for the PR in first place.

Good thing is, I don't have to leave my current job right now (before going there) as I can work from there for 6 months (hence, having enough money for survival).

What would you guys suggest? Is it still worth to go and settle there?
I see that you're fixating on work and job attachments in your mind, perhaps it is where you come from that attaches too much importance to survival values and that is influencing how you think. Moving abroad when it is voluntarily has more to do with your way of life, ideals and values, and you how you view your self as a person and your identity, your relationship with society and the rest of the world. Canada is a multi-cultural society but you still have to make some effort to integrate into society and perhaps go through some adaptation phase. I am sure you'll come to the right decision once you look at the big picture and find your right place in life.

Reactions: bellaluna

vineet_120191

May 20, 2017
Thank you so much for the lovely responses!
@LifeDreamer I guess you are right. I am currently stuck to the attachments I have right now and all this is avoiding me to look at the bigger picture. Thank you making me realizing this aspect!
@canuck78 Yes I agree with you, and I think I am ready to jump into the struggling phase and give my best to make my place there. Its just that there are some days when I get cold feet and too much anxiousness. One of the biggest reasons being that I've never been into any of the western countries in my life yet. But then again, I have nothing to loose as of now.

Well, these days I am trying to pinpoint a place to rent there, but aren't exactly sure in which city should I search. As I am in IT field, I'll be looking for jobs in Toronto but I am thinking to stay either in Brampton or Mississauga as Toronto is much costlier than two. Comparing public conveyance (Metro or Bus), travel time to Toronto and cost of living, which city is better to live in? Please advise.