+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR, Health Card in Nova Scotia; pregnant, want to deliver in June 2019 in Toronto

SJKS

Dec 10, 2018
Hello,

I am a PR. I landed in Nova Scotia in September 2016 and stayed for a month before returning to my country. I took health card from NS during that one month stay. Now, I am pregnant and want to deliver in Toronto and settle there. I am due in June 2019 and planning to travel in February. My questions are:

1. Since I had a health card in NS, will there be any issues in obtaining health card in Toronto?

2. Since health card in Ontario takes 3 months to deliver, what possible coverages can I get in the interim in terms of community clinics and others?

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your NS is invalid because you didn't remain in NS for over 6 months. You wee not entitled to use the health system. You will have no coverage for 3 months and must pay for treatment yourself. After 3 months you qualify for OHIP but you must remain in Ontario for over 6 months or you could be asked to pay back all the services you have received. I would read the residency requirement and general information on OHIP.

Reactions: YVR123 and SJKS

SJKS

Dec 10, 2018
Your NS is invalid because you didn't remain in NS for over 6 months. You wee not entitled to use the health system. You will have no coverage for 3 months and must pay for treatment yourself. After 3 months you qualify for OHIP but you must remain in Ontario for over 6 months or you could be asked to pay back all the services you have received. I would read the residency requirement and general information on OHIP.
What about community hospitals? I heard you can get coverage during that period from community hospitals.

Do I need to cancel my NS health card first before applying for OHIP?

Thanks a lot for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You never should ave applied for a NS if you had no intention of remaining in Canada for over 6 months. You are also supposed to inform the health system that you are living for an extended time from Canada. So yes you should inform the NS card authority that you have been out of the country since....

All hospitals in Canada are community hospitals. You will have to pay for the services you receive until you receive coverage.

SJKS

Dec 10, 2018
You never should ave applied for a NS if you had no intention of remaining in Canada for over 6 months. You are also supposed to inform the health system that you are living for an extended time from Canada. So yes you should inform the NS card authority that you have been out of the country since....

All hospitals in Canada are community hospitals. You will have to pay for the services you receive until you receive coverage.
I actually didn’t have much idea about health cards and the period I am required to stay if I have one. A family friend took me to the place and they gave me the health card right away. Didn’t even avail any facilities.

Thank you for all the information you have provided. I will have to come prepared with enough fund for the interim period.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

Would encourage you to read the website. If you apply for OHIP you must be planning to meet the residency requirements. Since you are not working you also won't qualify for maternity payments.

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
  • are a clergy member who can legally stay in Canada and is ministering full time in Ontario for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do

Reactions: YVR123

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Hi SJKS,

You can be covered with a Visitor/Travel insurance for your pregnancy upto 31st week. 9 weeks before due date will not be covered at any circumstance. Reach out to me for more details and I can help you secure you and your family with insurance. Thanks!