+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR getting a citizenship from a foreign country (not Canada, not Home country)

CA17CA

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
So, I think my question is clear.

What is the case if a PR is getting a new citizenship (not home country, not Canada) after getting the Canadian PR? Should we update IRCC with this?

Also, should the nationality on back for the PR card changed to the dual citizenship?

Can the PR enter Canada holding the PR Card AND the passport of original nationality listed on the PR card (but expired) AND the passport of 2nd nationality not listed on the PR card (valid)?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So, I think my question is clear.

What is the case if a PR is getting a new citizenship (not home country, not Canada) after getting the Canadian PR? Should we update IRCC with this?

Also, should the nationality on back for the PR card changed to the dual citizenship?

Can the PR enter Canada holding the PR Card AND the passport of original nationality listed on the PR card (but expired) AND the passport of 2nd nationality not listed on the PR card (valid)?
No need to update IRCC until your next interaction with them, such as PR card renewal or citizenship application.
You can travel as long as you have a valid PR card AND a valid passport. It's the PR card that will confirm to the airline that you have the right to enter Canada, not the passport.

Reactions: CA17CA

CA17CA

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
No need to update IRCC until your next interaction with them, such as PR card renewal or citizenship application.
You can travel as long as you have a valid PR card AND a valid passport. It's the PR card that will confirm to the airline that you have the right to enter Canada, not the passport.
Thank you for the information. I was wondering because the nationality is listed on the back of the PR Card and I am not sure if that might cause confusion when the card is presented with a passport from a a different country.

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
The country listed in the back of the PR card is your country of birth. The country listed on the front, however, is the country of your current nationality (the one you presented yourself as when you applied for PR in Canada). Hence, regardless which passport you use to flight into Canada, they will all show your country of birth and that should match the country shown on the back of your PR card irrespectivelly of the current nationality.

luic

Feb 27, 2016
The country listed in the back of the PR card is your country of birth. The country listed on the front, however, is the country of your current nationality (the one you presented yourself as when you applied for PR in Canada). Hence, regardless which passport you use to flight into Canada, they will all show your country of birth and that should match the country shown on the back of your PR card irrespectivelly of the current nationality.
In circumstances similar to the OP, would it be possible to have the nationality on the front of the PR card reflecting most recent nationality at the time of its renewal?

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Nope, IRCC does not amend any documents because you have subsequently acquired another nationality. The logic is that you were not a national of the new country at the time you became Permanent Resident in Canada. The exception to this rule is if you change your legal name and/or gender identity.