+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for Single Mother

JagSD11

Jan 11, 2020
Hi All,

I moved to Canada as a PR in 2018 and my sister moved here as a PR in 2019. The only person in our household who doesn't have a PR is our mother who is widowed and aged 60 yrs. She is currently a visitor in Canada.
Wanted some advice on how to go about for applying for a PR for my mother. I was thinking the below:

1. Apply through HnC grounds as she is the only person in the family who doesn't have a PR. She does have a brother(with mother) and sister in India but that's not the same household/family. What are the CONs if HnC gets refused?
    • Can she still visit with her current visitors Visa?
    • Can I apply for a Super Visa if needed?
    • In future can I sponsor her through Parental nomination Program?
  2. Applying through Parental Nomination Program in January 2021(I will be eligible then) - The only problem with this program is that its never guaranteed. I might get it the same year or never get it.
Also she has never worked and has no plans of working in Canada. She is not an independent person

Please advise!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

I moved to Canada as a PR in 2018 and my sister moved here as a PR in 2019. The only person in our household who doesn't have a PR is our mother who is widowed and aged 60 yrs. She is currently a visitor in Canada.
Wanted some advice on how to go about for applying for a PR for my mother. I was thinking the below:

1. Apply through HnC grounds as she is the only person in the family who doesn't have a PR. She does have a brother(with mother) and sister in India but that's not the same household/family. What are the CONs if HnC gets refused?
    • Can she still visit with her current visitors Visa?
    • Can I apply for a Super Visa if needed?
    • In future can I sponsor her through Parental nomination Program?
  2. Applying through Parental Nomination Program in January 2021(I will be eligible then) - The only problem with this program is that its never guaranteed. I might get it the same year or never get it.
Also she has never worked and has no plans of working in Canada. She is not an independent person

Please advise!
She has family in India, is only 60 and you and your sister both made the choice to move here. There is no H&C.

If you go the H&C route and are refused (very likely), expect that all visits/visas will be refused for several years. You could still apply to sponsor her but as you've said, it's not guaranteed you will even get the chance.

Reactions: jddd and JagSD11

JagSD11

Jan 11, 2020
She has family in India, is only 60 and you and your sister both made the choice to move here. There is no H&C.

If you go the H&C route and are refused (very likely), expect that all visits/visas will be refused for several years. You could still apply to sponsor her but as you've said, it's not guaranteed you will even get the chance.
Thanks a lot for your advice.. considering not to go through HnC now.

JagSD11

Jan 11, 2020
https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/421303/index.do

This is what can happen. You both recently decided to immigrate to Canada knowing your mother would be alone in India. She can continue to visit until her extension is refused.
Thanks a lot for the case link, helped me understand how a decision is made.

I am satisfied to change my decision to go via HnC. The risk is not worth it. Will try to get an extension n stay in Canada till it's possible.

Thanks a lot all.