+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for Mother?

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Me & my wife are PR in Canada and living here for 3+ years. My mom and dad had visitor visa to Canada. Recently my father expired in India. Now I do not want my mother to stay in India for long periods of time. While she visits us on visitor visa, I want to have a PR application for her so that she can get access to the healthcare in this country. Can someone tell me what programs are possible to sponsor your parents for PR?

If there are no programs, we'll accordingly plan to move back to India.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Me & my wife are PR in Canada and living here for 3+ years. My mom and dad had visitor visa to Canada. Recently my father expired in India. Now I do not want my mother to stay in India for long periods of time. While she visits us on visitor visa, I want to have a PR application for her so that she can get access to the healthcare in this country. Can someone tell me what programs are possible to sponsor your parents for PR?

Sorry to hear about your father.

Your primary option would be to try and enter the next Parent Sponsorship Lottery when it becomes available. Note that this is a lottery you have to be selected randomly among other entrants to be given the opportunity to apply to sponsor your mother for PR; there is no guarantee that you will be selected.

Your other option is to apply for PR under Humanitarian and Compassion Grounds when your mother is in Canada; this is meant to be a last-ditch effort based on extraordinary circumstances. However, if your mother has other family that can serve as her support system in India, then her chances of getting PR through H&C are low. A failed H&C application could also jeopardize your mother's ability to extend her visa before it expires or apply for a new visa, as IRCC could believe that she will attempt to overstay after the failed application.

Last edited:

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Sorry to hear about your father.

Your primary option would be to try and enter the next Parent Sponsorship Lottery when it becomes available. Note that this is a lottery you have to be selected randomly among other entrants to be given the opportunity to apply to sponsor your mother for PR; there is no guarantee that you will be selected.

Your other option is to apply for PR under Humanitarian and Compassion Grounds when your mother is in Canada; this is meant to be a last-ditch effort based on extraordinary circumstances. However, if your mother has other family that can serve as her support system in India, then her chances of getting PR through H&C are low. A failed H&C application could also jeopardize your mother's ability to extend her visa before it expires or apply for a new visa, as IRCC could believe that she will attempt to overstay after the failed application.
For Parent Sponsorship Lottery, I can only apply when they call for applications or is there a way to enter the pool even now?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For Parent Sponsorship Lottery, I can only apply when they call for applications or is there a way to enter the pool even now?
You have to wait for the lottery to open. It is not open now.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Is your mother able to care for herself? How old is she? A supervisa is her best option.