+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for mother on medical / humanitarian grounds

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Hi All, I have been trying to get a PR for my mother for the past 3 years, but no luck so far. She lives along in India and how is at an age wherein she cannot live alone by herself and needs to be taken care of.

Does this situation constitute grounds for me being able to apply for her PR outside the lottery system, on humanitarian grounds? I appreciate input from folks who have been in this situation. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All, I have been trying to get a PR for my mother for the past 3 years, but no luck so far. She lives along in India and how is at an age wherein she cannot live alone by herself and needs to be taken care of.

Does this situation constitute grounds for me being able to apply for her PR outside the lottery system, on humanitarian grounds? I appreciate input from folks who have been in this situation. Thank you.
If you are her only child, then an H&C application has a chance of succeeding. She will need to be physically in Canada in order for you to apply to sponsor her under H&C. So she would need to start by getting a TRV or super visa approved so that she can come to Canada.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

How old is your mother? Does she have any family members nearby at home? Are you the only child? Does she have medical needs that would either cause excessive demand to the Canadian medical system or would make her unable to care for herself? What differentiates your case from others applying to sponsor their parents via PGP? H&C is always a risk because if it is denied then she may struggle to get a TRV or supervisa. Are you able to cover her routine medical care for up to 1-3 years if necessary until you receive a response? Medical insurance would only cover emergency care until someone is stable for non-preexisting conditions.

Reactions: YVR123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why not hire someone to look after your mother or put her in a retirement or long term care home?

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
If you are her only child, then an H&C application has a chance of succeeding. She will need to be physically in Canada in order for you to apply to sponsor her under H&C. So she would need to start by getting a TRV or super visa approved so that she can come to Canada.
I am not her only child, but my sibling lives in another country where they have stopped sponsoring dependents for many years now. Hence, Canada is the only option left.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. I have, it gives her 2 years, I am hoping for a permanent solution.
If she already has a super visa, then she can come to Canada and once she is in Canada, she can file an H&C application.

Risks with the H&C application are that if it's refused, this generally results in her super visa being canceled as well and will make it difficult to return to Canada as a visitor in the future.

The H&C application will have a higher chance of succeeding if you are an only child.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am not her only child, but my sibling lives in another country where they have stopped sponsoring dependents for many years now. Hence, Canada is the only option left.
In that case the best option would be to have her come to Canada on the super visa and they try to be selected through the normal parent / grandparent sponsorship lottery.

H&C is certainly an option too - although it comes with risks if she is refused. That's the gamble if you go the H&C route.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How old is your mother? Is she actually physically incapable of caring for her daily needs? I know your preference would be for your mother to live with you but so do all of the people applying for PGP.