+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for diplomats

Janani001

Apr 13, 2018
Hello. I'm from Sri Lanka.Currently I'm 21 yrs old and I have diplomatic status here in Canada because my mom works at the Embassy.We have recently arrived here in Canada.Global affairs recently sent me a letter saying as I'm 19 yrs and above I need to show them proof of studies in order to accredit me further.As in to get my visa extended and to get the ID and all.And they also told me that when I'll show them my proof of studies here in Canada then only will they extend my visa for the duration of the academic course that is 2 years only.But I would like to stay even after that.To get a job and then eventually PR.I wanted to know if I wanted to stay here in Canada even after my studies how can I stay?Is there a way for me to get a PR?Please tell me what steps should be taken.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello. I'm from Sri Lanka.Currently I'm 21 yrs old and I have diplomatic status here in Canada because my mom works at the Embassy.We have recently arrived here in Canada.Global affairs recently sent me a letter saying as I'm 19 yrs and above I need to show them proof of studies in order to accredit me further.As in to get my visa extended and to get the ID and all.And they also told me that when I'll show them my proof of studies here in Canada then only will they extend my visa for the duration of the academic course that is 2 years only.But I would like to stay even after that.To get a job and then eventually PR.I wanted to know if I wanted to stay here in Canada even after my studies how can I stay?Is there a way for me to get a PR?Please tell me what steps should be taken.
You have no path to PR at this time or way of remaining in Canada after your studies are done to work.

Here's what you would have to do in order to change that. First - obtain a non-diplomatic passport. Second - change your status to a study permit. Note that you will have to pay international student fees once you do this. Complete two years of studies using the study permit either at a university or public college so that you can qualify for a three year post graduate work permit. Then find a job and gain work experience that will hopefully qualify you for PR.

Janani001

Apr 13, 2018
You have no path to PR at this time or way of remaining in Canada after your studies are done to work.

Here's what you would have to do in order to change that. First - obtain a non-diplomatic passport. Second - change your status to a study permit. Note that you will have to pay international student fees once you do this. Complete two years of studies using the study permit either at a university or public college so that you can qualify for a three year post graduate work permit. Then find a job and gain work experience that will hopefully qualify you for PR.
Thank you so much for the advice.Can I change my passport to non diplomatic in the last year or maybe the last semester of my diploma?Is that possible and will that be easier for me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for the advice.Can I change my passport to non diplomatic in the last year or maybe the last semester of my diploma?Is that possible and will that be easier for me?
No - you need to complete the entire program while on a study permit if you want a PGWP afterwards.

Janani001

Apr 13, 2018
No - you need to complete the entire program while on a study permit if you want a PGWP afterwards.
But I do have a study permit as well as a work permit that comes with the diplomatic status.is that different from the normal study permit?And I also heard that if you get a letter from an employer at a specific job after finishing my studies will that be able to help me get the work permit afterwards?Is there a procedure like that?