+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for Child born abroad to PR parents

piscean5

Star Member
Nov 11, 2009
HI All
My wife and I have canadian PR but are working in US. My wife is expecting and due date is in december.
As my wife is not able to get leave or work from home option before the delivery, kid will be born in US. As my wife will have maternity leave from January, we are planning to travel and stay in canada (Alberta) from January onwards.
My questions
1. What is the process for my newborn to get PR in canada?
2. How much time does it take?
3. Should we apply after coming to canada in January or apply from US only and then come once PR is received?
This is important as health care will be needed for the baby and it cant be availed before PR comes

Thanks in Advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
piscean5 said:
1. What is the process for my newborn to get PR in canada?
2. How much time does it take?
3. Should we apply after coming to canada in January or apply from US only and then come once PR is received?
This is important as health care will be needed for the baby and it cant be availed before PR comes
Hi

Do you meet the Residency Obligation?

1. You need to sponsor the child http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp.

2. Probably around 3-6 months.

3. As PRs, you can't apply from outside of Canada. You must be residing in Canada when the app is submitted and throughout the process. If you apply from the US, you can expect the app to be refused.

piscean5

Star Member
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks for the info.
One more question. What are the health insurance options with in canada for the kid - to bridge the gap between sponsering and actual approval of PR

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
piscean5 said:
Thanks for the info.
One more question. What are the health insurance options with in canada for the kid - to bridge the gap between sponsering and actual approval of PR
You didn't answer whether you meet the RO or not.

Look at the Alberta health website. I believe your child will be able to get healthcare.

piscean5

Star Member
Nov 11, 2009
I became a PR last october but have stayed in canada for few weeks only on my PR . Starting January, I will be moving permanently to Canada.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
You meet RO .If you enter canada with your kid(assuming kid has american passport and any other agreements between US and canada make child enter canada with you guys) there was no inland sponsorship for kids only. In this case you have to stay in canada arrange job here and prepare cra returns etc to apply as a sponsor.

you can also check if you can apply outland for kid staying in canada

you need to stay in canada until all the immigration formalities are over.A 2 week holiday is permitted.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
piscean5 said:
I became a PR last october but have stayed in canada for few weeks only on my PR . Starting January, I will be moving permanently to Canada.
Then you'll be fine.

ramkris said:
In this case you have to stay in canada arrange job here and prepare cra returns etc to apply as a sponsor.

you can also check if you can apply outland for kid staying in canada
There is no need to have a job or CRA returns to apply to sponsor.

There is no issue with applying outland for a child in Canada.

mkoushik0730

Star Member
Sep 15, 2016
Hello piscean5,

My situation is also similar to yours . It would be great if I get opportunity to talk to you. Let me know if we can connect .

Thank you in Advance,