+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for baby born outside Canada

Jayjagadeesh

Apr 15, 2020
Hi,

I and wife are PR holders. But we are working outside Canada and our PR cards are valid. Our child was born outside Canada.
How can I obtain PR for him?
Do I need to be inside Canada before applying?
How long will the process take?
What are the requirements for sponsoring the child?
Is there any particular requirement with regards to the job or income?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Essentially one of you must be in Canada to sponsor your child and be compliant with your RO. Will take 5-11 months. You can try to get a TRV for your child to come to Canada, if denied a TRP. Your child would not have access to healthcare without PR in most provinces and some provinces have wait times even when the child eventually gets PR.

Jayjagadeesh

Apr 15, 2020
Essentially one of you must be in Canada to sponsor your child and be compliant with your RO. Will take 5-11 months. You can try to get a TRV for your child to come to Canada, if denied a TRP. Your child would not have access to healthcare without PR in most provinces and some provinces have wait times even when the child eventually gets PR.
Hi thank you. What is TRP and TRV?
So when you sponsor a child, will the child be awarded PR or is it some sort of temporary visa?

Jayjagadeesh

Apr 15, 2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi thank you. What is TRP and TRV?
So when you sponsor a child, will the child be awarded PR or is it some sort of temporary visa?
TRV is a temporary resident visa same as any other temporary visitor. TRP is a temporary visitor permit which is can be used if you are denied a TRV but is only given in rare circumstances. Once you sponsor your child they will get PR in 5-11 months. You must be compliant with your residency obligation of 2 out of 5 years to sponsor or you risk losing your own PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Bella. I went through that page. But unfortunately was not able to understand the whole of it. Is sponsoring and PR application different ?
In that case how long will it take to get a PR after sponsoring?
Will there be any benefits from the govt for a sponsored family memeber?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Posted processing time is 1 year. Child sponsorship apps are generally faster but no guarantee.

What do you mean by benefits?