+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR filing taxes as a remote worker from USA - Help!

Wam19

May 27, 2019
Hello, my partner got PR this year. He is a US Citizen and was working remotely in the US but living here while we were doing our application. The company paid him in US dollars into his US account and he has not moved any of that money to Canada. They also did not withhold any taxes, so he will need to pay tax on all of his income. He also has some income from a job here he got once his WP came through. I know very little about the US tax system and he has never filed his own taxes (!) so I was hoping someone on here could guide us in the right direction. My concern is that both countries would want to collect the tax on his remote income. has anyone else been in this situation??
Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, my partner got PR this year. He is a US Citizen and was working remotely in the US but living here while we were doing our application. The company paid him in US dollars into his US account and he has not moved any of that money to Canada. They also did not withhold any taxes, so he will need to pay tax on all of his income. He also has some income from a job here he got once his WP came through. I know very little about the US tax system and he has never filed his own taxes (!) so I was hoping someone on here could guide us in the right direction. My concern is that both countries would want to collect the tax on his remote income. has anyone else been in this situation??
Thanks in advance!
If he has never filed his own taxes, I suggest he find a tax preparer experienced in cross-border taxation. He will need to file taxes in both countries.

Reactions: Wam19

Wam19

May 27, 2019
We have everything together to file in both places, but I was hoping to save a little money and do it myself. Canadian ones are so easy haha. You're probably right though and we will have to bite the bullet. Freelance taxes are a pain. Thanks for taking the time to give your input!