+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Extension Application

Aug 20, 2012
Hello Awesome Experts/Moderators,

I became a PR in Canada on 16 Mar 2006. My PR card states that the expiry of the card was 31 Oct 2011 (They made me fly to Canada in person to get my picture taken later in 2006, so I think they gave me extra 6 months of the card expiry. I got my picture taken, received my card and then left back for USA (where I was working). From USA, I had to move to India on Nov 2009, because of my sister's divorce case which was a real messy one and also resulted in my father being hospitalized for high Blood Pressure for 8 months. The divorce got finalized in June 2011 and I flew back to Canada immediately and landed on 16th June 2011.

Long cut short, Since June 2011, I have been in Toronto, started working full time in Sep 2011 and have been working full time since then, filed taxes for 2011 and 2012. Now that I have completed two years successfully inside Canada, I intend to apply for PR Extension.

1.) In the application, there is a section to explain, why was I out of Canada for the duration in last 5 years with 2 line space for explanation. Should I just write "Sister's Divorce/Father's hospitalization" or should I detail on it with detailed explanation on attachments?

2.) The other issue is I am common law partners with another male from India who just completed his international program. We declared common law and filed last year taxes together. Would it be any matter of worry if I declare myself Common law on PR Extension application?

3.) For addresses lived in last 5 years, the rows provided in the form are not enough. I would need to provide details separately. Is there any other form for it, or should I just provide the details in a word document as an attachment.

4.) Would sending plane boarding pass for entry to Canada, Bank Statements (2011-2013) make my application any stronger or should I not send it along with my application?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) I would write Sisters divorce / Fathers hospitalization as a reason. You do not need attachments because you do have more than 2 years in Canada in the meantime.

2) Write common law. This is also essential if you plan to sponsor your partner for PR later.

3) Make your own list of addresses and include.

4) I would send it. It saves you the trouble of having to send it later if they ask plus it could delay your application if they have to ask for something.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadianResident11 said:
Thanks a lot for the reply Leon! So regarding the 4thQuestion, should I send originals of boarding pass, bank statements or photocopies?
Just send copies.