+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expiry vs PR Card Expiry - Confused!

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by _Harry_, Nov 5, 2019.

1. #1 _Harry_, Nov 5, 2019 at 5:14 AM
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Hi Forum Members,

I got my PR in 2017, did soft landing last year and got my PR card in Sep 2018. The card is valid till Sep 2023. Due to certain reasons, I am yet to move to Canada for good, although I am planning to go by before March/April 2020. This gives me good 3+ year in my PR validity to furnish my 730 days of stay to continue my PR for next 5 years.

I, however, need some clarity on below 3 doubts. Kindly illuminate:

1. I have not been in touch with the PR rules changes lately. Kindly confirm if there is any change in the 5 year PR & 2/3 years stay for PR/Citizenship rule.

2. What exactly is the difference between PR card expiry and PR expiry? Are they both same or different?

3. If someone is not able to furnish his/her stay in Canada for 730 in 5 years, then what happens?

Thank you.

2. #2 Bs65, Nov 5, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    1)for PR the residency obligation you need to be in Canada for 2 years in the first 5 years from initial landing and after that you need to be able to show 2 years in the 5 years prior to any new entry into Canada. Your PR card issue/expiry date is not relevant to meeting the residency obligation

Citizenship requires 3 years of physical presence in Canada in the 5 years prior to the application date. This can be 2 years as a PR and the remaining year made up of one half day for every complete day spent in Canada as a student/temp worker/visitor

2)PR status never expires and can only be revoked or renounced. Only PR cards expire and you need a valid PR card to travel back into Canada or else a PRTD

3)if you fail the residency obligation and are not in the country then when you try to enter again there is a chance your PR status may be revoked subject to appeal.

You cannot renew a PR card from outside of Canada so if you need to apply for a PRTD having not met the RO then this could also result in PR status being revoked.

There no real obligation to keep a valid PR card although without one makes life difficult to travel anywhere outside of Canada to fly back as you would need a PRTD or cross the US/Canada border with an expired card

Based on your PR card issue date then would guess your initial landing was around July/August 2018 so in theory you could stay away until around July 2021 but then would need to stay put for 2 plus years to meet the residency obligation

_Harry_ likes this.
  3. Thank you for the detailed reply. Can you also please enlighten on the highlighted points in your reply.