+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expiry Because of Residency Obligation

Green Area

Jul 7, 2020
Hi Friends,
I have spent almost 300 days in Canada within 5 years and my PR would be expired in couple of months. I need to go back to my country because of some unavoidable reasons for some time. My PR would be expired and PRTD might not also be issued because of non-fulfillment of residency obligation. Can friends give me some advice, while I am in Canada now, so that I may return back to Canada without risk. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Friends,
I have spent almost 300 days in Canada within 5 years and my PR would be expired in couple of months. I need to go back to my country because of some unavoidable reasons for some time. My PR would be expired and PRTD might not also be issued because of non-fulfillment of residency obligation. Can friends give me some advice, while I am in Canada now, so that I may return back to Canada without risk. Thanks
There's nothing you can do in Canada now to make sure you can return without any risk.

A PRTD will only be issued if you apply under H&C and provide compelling reasons why you were unable to meet the residency requirement.

If you don't have compelling H&C reasons, then your only other option will be to fly to the U.S. when you are ready to return and attempt to enter Canada through a land border without being reported for failing to meet the residency requirement.

Reactions: edenfair

edenfair

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
Agree with scylla, and I'm sure you already know this but make sure your travel log is detailed and precise. They will really need good reasons why you couldn't manage even half of the 730 day residency requirement.

Good luck.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
It is Ok, you do what you need to do in your life, and even if you lose your PR, you can apply again when you feel you can fulfill the residency requirement.

Green Area

Jul 7, 2020
Thanks for the advice by all of you. I need some way to get permission to go abroad, for some short time, to meet unavoidable business and agricultural reasons. There might be some way to come back easily without risk. The US is not issuing any visa these days and moreover its risky. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the advice by all of you. I need some way to get permission to go abroad, for some short time, to meet unavoidable business and agricultural reasons. There might be some way to come back easily without risk. The US is not issuing any visa these days and moreover its risky. Thanks
Canada doesn’t give permission for people to go abroad. You make your own decisions. Work and agricultural reasons are not considered H&C reasons. You will have to leave knowing you risk your PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there is no way for you to get permission to go abroad and to make sure you can easily come back without risk.

If you need to leave Canada, you will simply have to go and hope you are able to return.

Again, no way to get permission. There simply is no way to do this.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No permission is needed to go abroad. You just make sure you can return.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you don’t meet RO you will face the possibility of being reported every time you enter Canada or interact with IRCC. There is no easy way at this point. You’ll just have to take your chances if you really need to leave.