+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expired, RO obligation and PRTD

rashid07

Feb 12, 2021
I am married to a Canadian Citizen. I landed in Canada in 2016, purchased property and was beginning to settle down. Shortly after that my father had health issues, He was looking over some legal disputes at that time and since I am a lawyer, there was no one else in the family who could help him so I went back to be with him but kept coming back to Canada whenever I could. My father passed away in 2018. I only have about 300+ days of residency in Canada. My plan was to wrap up the legal disputes as fast as possible and come back to Canada in 2019 however I was not comfortable travelling due to the Covid19 situation given that I have a weak immune system. I have not seen my wife in 18 months now and this is causing us a lot of depression. I really want to see her. I want to apply for PRTD under H&C so that I can go back. What are my chances? Some people have also suggested renouncing PR status and applying for visit visa.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
I think renouncing and having your wife sponsor you again will be the least stressful/complicated way. I doubt you will get an H&C consideration using the reasons and timeline you listed.

Reactions: Buletruck

rashid07

Feb 12, 2021
I think renouncing and having your wife sponsor you again will be the least stressful/complicated way. I doubt you will get an H&C consideration using the reasons and timeline you listed.
Thank you for the response. Should I try applying for PRTD instead of renouncing?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you for the response. Should I try applying for PRTD instead of renouncing?
1, You need to apply for a PRTD, note not traveling in 2019 won't "fly" as there was no pandemic in 2019, first case was in Wuhan in December 2019.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I am married to a Canadian Citizen. I landed in Canada in 2016, purchased property and was beginning to settle down. Shortly after that my father had health issues, He was looking over some legal disputes at that time and since I am a lawyer, there was no one else in the family who could help him so I went back to be with him but kept coming back to Canada whenever I could. My father passed away in 2018. I only have about 300+ days of residency in Canada. My plan was to wrap up the legal disputes as fast as possible and come back to Canada in 2019 however I was not comfortable travelling due to the Covid19 situation given that I have a weak immune system. I have not seen my wife in 18 months now and this is causing us a lot of depression. I really want to see her. I want to apply for PRTD under H&C so that I can go back. What are my chances? Some people have also suggested renouncing PR status and applying for visit visa.
Things didn’t start going off the rails in the world till early 2020. So using the pandemic as a reason not to fly in 2019, pretty well doesn’t make any sense
If your father passed in 2018, you had a year