+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR entering Canada with passport valid for less than 6 months

mauriciovafer

Aug 19, 2019
Hi

I am Permanent Resident. My passport is from Costa Rica. I am planning to visit CR in October 2019 (10th to 21st), but my passport expires in March 2020. I know I won't have any issues entering Costa Rica, I still citizen, but I am wondering if I going to have issues when leaving CR to back to Canada, because of the expiration date in my current passport (less than 6 months by the date I will come back to Canada). As I said, I have a valid PR and my passport would have almost 5 months left by the time I coming back to Canada. Thanks for your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi

I am Permanent Resident. My passport is from Costa Rica. I am planning to visit CR in October 2019 (10th to 21st), but my passport expires in March 2020. I know I won't have any issues entering Costa Rica, I still citizen, but I am wondering if I going to have issues when leaving CR to back to Canada, because of the expiration date in my current passport (less than 6 months by the date I will come back to Canada). As I said, I have a valid PR and my passport would have almost 5 months left by the time I coming back to Canada. Thanks for your help.
1. As long as your passport and PR card are valid, you will have no trouble boarding a flight back to Canada.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Your order of concerns in decreasing order should be:
Whether airlines will let you board with a soon to expire passport or not -call them to find out, they tend to have most flimsy and outdated rules
Whether your country emigration will let you leave with a soon to expire passport - check online for official rules. Usually 3-6 months is safe.
Whether Canada will let you land with a soon to expire passport - no problem here. As long as it is valid, you are good