+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR documents, now what?

Home_I_will_be

Jan 4, 2018
My husband works in the US.
He just got his Canada PR documents.
We haven’t validated them yet because I’m getting mixed messages online.

Once we validate them at the border, it says it takes 45 days to get a PR card.
Then it says If he leaves Canada, he won’t be allowed back in without the PR card? How is he supposed to continue working everyday in the US?

Can he validate it at the border, and then continue to go across like he has, (an American visitor), until his card comes in?

Or will he already be in the system and they will question where he lives?

We need to cross into Canada often to look for a place to live, and visit family.
And we need to cross into the USA again, because that’s where we live and where my husband works.

And, can we bring our belongings into Canada once we find a place to live, or do we have to wait till his PR card comes in to cross the border as a PR?

Thank you for your help.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My husband works in the US.
He just got his Canada PR documents.
We haven’t validated them yet because I’m getting mixed messages online.

Once we validate them at the border, it says it takes 45 days to get a PR card.
Then it says If he leaves Canada, he won’t be allowed back in without the PR card? How is he supposed to continue working everyday in the US?

Can he validate it at the border, and then continue to go across like he has, (an American visitor), until his card comes in?

Or will he already be in the system and they will question where he lives?

We need to cross into Canada often to look for a place to live, and visit family.
And we need to cross into the USA again, because that’s where we live and where my husband works.

And, can we bring our belongings into Canada once we find a place to live, or do we have to wait till his PR card comes in to cross the border as a PR?

Thank you for your help.
If he is crossing the land border in private transportation, he will not need a PR card.

Home_I_will_be

Jan 4, 2018
If he is crossing the land border in private transportation, he will not need a PR card.
But, if he goes back and forth everyday to come and go to and from work, he has to have a PR status to re enter Canada, or they will question if he is living in Canada illegally?
I understand he can still cross as an American as a visitor. But my questions were more detailed to when to get the documents validated and what happens at the border after they are validated and he’s in the system?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
But, if he goes back and forth everyday to come and go to and from work, he has to have a PR status to re enter Canada, or they will question if he is living in Canada illegally?
I understand he can still cross as an American as a visitor. But my questions were more detailed to when to get the documents validated and what happens at the border after they are validated and he’s in the system?
Yes, he needs to complete the "landing" procedures, which make him a PR. Physical possession of the PR card does not affect his immigration status. Once the landing is done, he is entitled to cross the border with Canada at any time. CBSA will be able to look him up on their systems to confirm his status. A PR card is only required for commercial transportation, such as air, rail, boat or bus.