+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR days spent outside Canada but valid as per residency obligation

bram

Star Member
Sep 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I would like to know if I am hired by a Canadian company and seconded to another country then will those days outside of Canada be counted for Citizenship days? Or does physical presence here is in literal terms?

Example:
I start working for Canadian company who will second me to UK from 01 May 2018. Will my days from 01 May 2018 till 30 April 2020 counted as days for citizenship?

I understand that these days outside country can be counted for retaining my PR status but is this the case for obtaining citizenship as well?

Please can you advise.

Regards,
Bram

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hello.
No, only the days spent as a crown servant or spouse of a crown servant can be claimed for the citizenship application.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

I would like to know if I am hired by a Canadian company and seconded to another country then will those days outside of Canada be counted for Citizenship days? Or does physical presence here is in literal terms?

Example:
I start working for Canadian company who will second me to UK from 01 May 2018. Will my days from 01 May 2018 till 30 April 2020 counted as days for citizenship?

I understand that these days outside country can be counted for retaining my PR status but is this the case for obtaining citizenship as well?

Please can you advise.

Regards,
Bram
What @Seym said.

Plus: be cautious about relying on PR RO credit for time abroad based on working for a Canadian company. It is more complicated than that. It is clear that IRCC interprets this exception quite narrowly, far more so than is suggested in the information IRCC provides (such as in the appendix to the guide for making a PR card application, which describes the exception). Many actual cases (as reported in official decisions by the IAD and Federal Court) suggest that it can be difficult, in practice, to obtain this credit for any PR who would not otherwise meet the PR RO without the credit (while this is mostly tied to the TEMPORARY ASSIGNMENT element, to be eligible for the credit, again this tends to be complicated).

Thus, before spending an extended time abroad relying on this credit, it would be prudent to consult with an experienced lawyer or otherwise do a lot of serious homework . . . again, just assessing things based on the information IRCC provides online is RISKY.