+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Confusion

cochrane13

Apr 6, 2018
This is on the back of my previous questions, just hoping someone can make it clear in what our choices are. When we were in the UK we followed the questions for a work permit and it recommended getting an open work permit. Whilst waiting for approval we made the decision to move to canada as a visitor and live with my sister. Once in Canada we subsequently found out that I had PR Status from my childhood under my previous surname (changed when mother remarried) the record the government have show that under my previous surname I never left the country. We then did not get work permit as we should not have applied for it due to PR status. I'm here with children and wife, and want to stay. My father, sisters and brother all live here. Is there anything I can do with this ?? People say stay for so many days and then reapply for renewal of PR Status, some have said Humanitarian route, but Im pretty confused with it.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So I briefly read through your other posts but maybe I missed it but what status do your children and wife have currently in Canada given even if you are still a PR somewhere in the system that would be irrelevant to their legal status staying in the country.

Also missed how you managed to apply for an ETA to travel to Canada given a few people have posted here who were PRs late 70s early 80s left country applied for an ETA and were refused without renouncing PR first so they were in the system even that far back. Maybe as per your other posts the fact you were a minor and maybe on an adults passport that it was not picked up or simply due to the name change which adds another dimension if there were ever any questions about ever having being known by any other name if you didn’t declare .

H&C generally only succeeds for minors removed by parents when applied for when the applicant is approx 18-22 which guess having a wife and kids might not apply.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This is on the back of my previous questions, just hoping someone can make it clear in what our choices are. When we were in the UK we followed the questions for a work permit and it recommended getting an open work permit. Whilst waiting for approval we made the decision to move to canada as a visitor and live with my sister. Once in Canada we subsequently found out that I had PR Status from my childhood under my previous surname (changed when mother remarried) the record the government have show that under my previous surname I never left the country. We then did not get work permit as we should not have applied for it due to PR status. I'm here with children and wife, and want to stay. My father, sisters and brother all live here. Is there anything I can do with this ?? People say stay for so many days and then reapply for renewal of PR Status, some have said Humanitarian route, but Im pretty confused with it.
If you are a Permanent Resident, you can, and should, stay for 730 consecutive days in Canada in order to restore compliance with the Residency Obligation requirements. You can only then apply for a new PR card. Your family however are still only visitors and will be required to leave Canada at the end of their approved stay.

How you handle this is up to you as a family.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like you have been in Canada for a year. How are you managing without work, healthcare or schooling? Have you been renewing your visitor status after 6 months? Have you confirmed 100% that you still have PR status?

cochrane13

Apr 6, 2018
Hi. We are managing without those things, purely on savings and family help. We had hoped that the work permit would have come through sooner. We took a risk coming over based on the work permit, but its been made easier that all of my family live here so have not been completely on our own. Government have confirmed the PR residency in previous surname and also confirmed their record show I never left under that name. 6 month visitor visa was renewed whilst awaiting work permit, which denied weeks after renewal of visitor visa.