+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR - common law

Lucy88

Aug 10, 2017
Hello

I would like to ask. Me and my common law partner are both in Canada. I have open work permit, according my common law partner's visa ( He has "young professional visa - working permit). Both visas are gonna expire in October 2017.
We want to apply for PR throw the express entry. I am not sure about the process. Should only one of us apply for PR-express entry and include the common law partner, who will get PR automatically if the other one will get the PR? I mean, let's say my partner will apply for PR, he will get it and automatically I will get PR (if we will include me in his application)? Or, I have to wait till my partner will get the PR and after I can apply for common law partner visa (PR, open work permit...)? Or should we both apply for PR? I am kind of confused about that process.
Thank you so much for any help

Regards

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Hello

I would like to ask. Me and my common law partner are both in Canada. I have open work permit, according my common law partner's visa ( He has "young professional visa - working permit). Both visas are gonna expire in October 2017.
We want to apply for PR throw the express entry. I am not sure about the process. Should only one of us apply for PR-express entry and include the common law partner, who will get PR automatically if the other one will get the PR? I mean, let's say my partner will apply for PR, he will get it and automatically I will get PR (if we will include me in his application)? Or, I have to wait till my partner will get the PR and after I can apply for common law partner visa (PR, open work permit...)? Or should we both apply for PR? I am kind of confused about that process.
Thank you so much for any help

Regards
Its enough that one with highest score applies, and the other one will be included in the application as ( accompanying spouse) and both of you will get PR together this way.

Lucy88

Aug 10, 2017
Thank you so much,
one more question please, do we both need to make "express entry profile" ?
Thanks

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Thank you so much,
one more question please, do we both need to make "express entry profile" ?
Thanks
my pleasure. No, just one express entry profile for the applicant. All dependents will be included in that same profile.

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Check that link to see if you are eligible to apply, and then calculate your CRS score as well. CRS score is what enters the pool of applicants to be selected in draws. Based on current draws a score of more than 440-450 is more likely to be selected quicker. If your score is lower but above 400 and your education and language scores are good, you might also recieve a provincial nomination which gives you additional 600 points.

Lucy88

Aug 10, 2017
Hello

I have an another question. About medical exam. Do the both - applicant and the common-law partner need an immigration medical exam?

I found different information on the web site. Once it's saying: "A new application process for the spousal sponsorship program came into effect on December 15, 2016. Upfront medical exams are no longer needed for spouses, partners or dependent children." (http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx) and at the other place: "If you apply for permanent residence, you must have an immigration medical exam. Your family members must also have a medical exam, even if they are not coming with you." (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp).

So it's little confusing. Do we both need it? Or only the main applicant?

Thank you very much
Lucia

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
Hello

I have an another question. About medical exam. Do the both - applicant and the common-law partner need an immigration medical exam?

I found different information on the web site. Once it's saying: "A new application process for the spousal sponsorship program came into effect on December 15, 2016. Upfront medical exams are no longer needed for spouses, partners or dependent children." (http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx) and at the other place: "If you apply for permanent residence, you must have an immigration medical exam. Your family members must also have a medical exam, even if they are not coming with you." (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp).

Thank you very much
Lucia
I think you both needed. I've applied with my common-law partner after December 15, 2016 and we both were requested to have medicals done and upload results. Our case is pretty similar (I'm main applicant on close work permit and my common-law gf is on open work permit). Do medicals after you are selected from the pool.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hello

Thank you very much
Lucia
Sponsorship program is not EE. You both need medical.

Lucy88

Aug 10, 2017
I think you both needed. I've applied with my common-law partner after December 15, 2016 and we both were requested to have medicals done and upload results. Our case is pretty similar (I'm main applicant on close work permit and my common-law gf is on open work permit). Do medicals after you are selected from the pool.
thank you!

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
Check that link to see if you are eligible to apply, and then calculate your CRS score as well. CRS score is what enters the pool of applicants to be selected in draws. Based on current draws a score of more than 440-450 is more likely to be selected quicker. If your score is lower but above 400 and your education and language scores are good, you might also recieve a provincial nomination which gives you additional 600 points.

Hi, I hope you would be able to answer

I have created my EE profile as single but then I learned that I have to declare my common law partner. So I added him as "Accompanying"
He is currently working under working permit with LMIA. On the job information page about the type of permit should we choose the option"Work permit with LMIA required"?

So if I get an ITA does this automatically includes him on the chance of getting PR?