+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Common-Law Sponsorship

JenCan

Apr 22, 2019
Category........
FAM
Hi! I know there are many forums regarding this question but I wanted to clarify everything before I submit my files again (it has been returned once due to the missing signature of Schedule A because we didn't know that handwritten signature was required beside the name-- 2 months after we've submitted!)
Anyways, regarding the date we entered in common- law, a few of my friend is saying that the date should be January 12,2018. We started living together as soon as my partner landed in Canada January 12 2018. (We've been dating long distance relationship for 3 years) and I recently changed my CRA to common law dated as January 12 2019 as my accountant insists it has to be 12 months after we started cohabitation. (another question here, does it have to be 366 days? so would it be January 13? or it should be January 11 as his work holiday visa ended in January 11 2019? )
I would like to put the date as January 12 2018 so they know for sure we've been living together since last year..
and for the joint account statments, we originally wanted to submit all the statements covering Jan 2018 to April 2019- but we think it might be too much of statements we send so we are only sending a few would that be okay?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi! I know there are many forums regarding this question but I wanted to clarify everything before I submit my files again (it has been returned once due to the missing signature of Schedule A because we didn't know that handwritten signature was required beside the name-- 2 months after we've submitted!)
Anyways, regarding the date we entered in common- law, a few of my friend is saying that the date should be January 12,2018. We started living together as soon as my partner landed in Canada January 12 2018. (We've been dating long distance relationship for 3 years) and I recently changed my CRA to common law dated as January 12 2019 as my accountant insists it has to be 12 months after we started cohabitation. (another question here, does it have to be 366 days? so would it be January 13? or it should be January 11 as his work holiday visa ended in January 11 2019? )
I would like to put the date as January 12 2018 so they know for sure we've been living together since last year..
and for the joint account statments, we originally wanted to submit all the statements covering Jan 2018 to April 2019- but we think it might be too much of statements we send so we are only sending a few would that be okay?
Your friends are wrong. Don't take any advice from them. You became common-law one year to date after you started living together.

Your accountant was correct about when to change your status with CRA. You became common-law in Jan 2019. Putting Jan 2018 would mean you started living together in Jan 2017.

Definitely do not send all of the statements. Send one from every 3-4 months and unless you are showing particular transactions such as money transfer between yourselves, just include the address page.

Did your partner change status to visitor prior to his IEC expiring?

JenCan

Apr 22, 2019
Category........
FAM
Your friends are wrong. Don't take any advice from them. You became common-law one year to date after you started living together.

Your accountant was correct about when to change your status with CRA. You became common-law in Jan 2019. Putting Jan 2018 would mean you started living together in Jan 2017.

Definitely do not send all of the statements. Send one from every 3-4 months and unless you are showing particular transactions such as money transfer between yourselves, just include the address page.

Did your partner change status to visitor prior to his IEC expiring?
thank you so much for reply. it took a lot of nervousness off of me. lol
so i'll be putting Jan 12 2019 for all the forms then?
and yes- he got visitor visa right after work holiday expired which not till july for visitor .we might apply again after he applied for pr in case it get returned again haha!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thank you so much for reply. it took a lot of nervousness off of me. lol
so i'll be putting Jan 12 2019 for all the forms then?
and yes- he got visitor visa right after work holiday expired which not till july for visitor .we might apply again after he applied for pr in case it get returned again haha!
Yes, Jan 2019.

JenCan

Apr 22, 2019
Category........
FAM
sorry to bug you! just a few more questions,
for proof of address other than joint account ( we only have bank joint account to prove as hydro and electricity is included in rent )
we were planning to submit bills of phone bill, bank statement, government id, sin number paper, credit card bill, and other bills just one month for each as they'll be all same bills. or should we include more bills to show we kept living under the same address?
and for proof of financial support, would you recommending submitting my credit card statements to support my common law as he didn't work? or just couple hundreds on joint will be okay?
i also have life insurance beneficiary under him and he's covered under family with mine as well

I ended up having so much more questions!! haha thanks alot!!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sorry to bug you! just a few more questions,
for proof of address other than joint account ( we only have bank joint account to prove as hydro and electricity is included in rent )
we were planning to submit bills of phone bill, bank statement, government id, sin number paper, credit card bill, and other bills just one month for each as they'll be all same bills. or should we include more bills to show we kept living under the same address?
and for proof of financial support, would you recommending submitting my credit card statements to support my common law as he didn't work? or just couple hundreds on joint will be okay?
i also have life insurance beneficiary under him and he's covered under family with mine as well

I ended up having so much more questions!! haha thanks alot!!!
Common-law proofs need to span at least a year, so if you are submitting a regular bill, show 3-4 over the course of a least a year. Follow the checklist when looking at what proofs to include.

Don't submit credit cards as proof of financial support. You don't need to prove that you have supporting him while he can't work.