+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR-CEC Looking for advises from Seniors

Edwin333

Feb 20, 2017
Hi,

I am in a kind of predicament right now. My one year PGWP is going to expire on Aug 2nd 2019. I will have one year work experience in the first week of August hence I am looking to apply for PR in the first week of August or in the following express entry draw. If I calculate with the one year experience , my score is 465. Please advise what can I do in order to continue my stay in Canada. I am here with my family with two kids. My elder one is doing his schooling here. Your valuable inputs are highly appreciated!

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I am in a kind of predicament right now. My one year PGWP is going to expire on Aug 2nd 2019. I will have one year work experience in the first week of August hence I am looking to apply for PR in the first week of August or in the following express entry draw. If I calculate with the one year experience , my score is 465. Please advise what can I do in order to continue my stay in Canada.
It sounds like you are saying that your work permit will expire before you complete one year, although it is close. It would help if you give exact dates of employment to know how close. When did you start working?

You will need to apply for a new work permit before your old one expires. Is your employer willing to apply for an LMIA for you, so that you can get a temporary work permit?

Edwin333

Feb 20, 2017
I started working from July 23rd before I received from PGWP on 2nd August. I will be completing my one year on 23rd July, however I had a short break(15 days) in between when I went home to bring my family to Canada so I need to cover the time lapsed at least by working for one more week or two.
LMIA is out of window as my company can't provide it and the process itself take more than a month. My question is whether I can apply for BOWP and when I get the AOR within ten days as I am hoping I could update the CIC through web form and keep them informed ??

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I started working from July 23rd before I received from PGWP on 2nd August. I will be completing my one year on 23rd July, however I had a short break(15 days) in between when I went home to bring my family to Canada so I need to cover the time lapsed at least by working for one more week or two.
LMIA is out of window as my company can't provide it and the process itself take more than a month. My question is whether I can apply for BOWP and when I get the AOR within ten days as I am hoping I could update the CIC through web form and keep them informed ??
You don't need to worry about a 2-week vacation. That will not reduce the number of days you worked in Canada. 2 weeks in a year is considered reasonable.

You will have 1-year on 23 July assuming you worked at least 30 hours a week.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience).

Edwin333

Feb 20, 2017
You don't need to worry about a 2-week vacation. That will not reduce the number of days you worked in Canada. 2 weeks in a year is considered reasonable.

You will have 1-year on 23 July assuming you worked at least 30 hours a week.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience).
Thanks for the Reply. Unfortunately the vacation was unpaid. What would be an optimal way forward?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks for the Reply. Unfortunately the vacation was unpaid. What would be an optimal way forward?
The CEC work qualification is 12 months of work. If you work till Aug 2, 2019, you will have 12 months less maybe two or three days (this is after I take out 2 weeks unpaid vacation). Since the granularity is months, a day or two won't matter.

Also, the Express Entry form only asks for work history in months.. they don't ask you to give the exact day you started. You will say July 2018 - Aug 2019, and provide your T4 and pay slips that matches this.

So you shall still qualify. Even if the agent looks at the days specifically, I find it hard to believe that they will find you ineligible for a matter of 2 days. You do have a T4 and payslips that cover the entire period?

Edwin333

Feb 20, 2017
The CEC work qualification is 12 months of work. If you work till Aug 2, 2019, you will have 12 months less maybe two or three days (this is after I take out 2 weeks unpaid vacation). Since the granularity is months, a day or two won't matter.

Also, the Express Entry form only asks for work history in months.. they don't ask you to give the exact day you started. You will say July 2018 - Aug 2019, and provide your T4 and pay slips that matches this.

So you shall still qualify. Even if the agent looks at the days specifically, I find it hard to believe that they will find you ineligible for a matter of 2 days. You do have a T4 and payslips that cover the entire period?
Awesome! I do have the T4 and payslips :) . Since you have been really helpful I also wanted to know if we need to get police certificates and medicals done even though we apply from Canada ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Awesome! I do have the T4 and payslips :) . Since you have been really helpful I also wanted to know if we need to get police certificates and medicals done even though we apply from Canada ?
Yes, you will need to. That's part of the admissibility assessment and remains the same for all PR applications.

Reactions: Edwin333

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
However, this doesn't solve the issue of staying in Canada. If your PGWP expires on Aug 2nd and you haven't applied for PR by then you cannot apply for a BOWP after that since you won't have a valid work permit. Your BOWP will be denied.

You should plan to leave Canada and come back as a PR. You are very close to getting PR status, but if you overstay your visa or work illegally, you can very well lose your chance to live here.

If you are absolutely unable to leave Canada you should talk to an immigration attorney to see what your options are.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Are you paid an hourly wage instead of a salary? If so, you have vacation time added to each paystub, usually 4%, or the equivalent of 4 weeks. If that is the case, you can consider it "paid" vacation. And 21Goose is right, IRCC expects at least 2 weeks of vacation...

It is an entirely different matter if you took your paid vacation time, PLUS 2 weeks of unpaid leave of absence. In that case, you would have to deduct the leave of absence from your employment time.

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

This is true for the profile, but the letters of employment must include exact dates, and the VO will look at those. Nonetheless I agree, I think the OP will qualify.

So you shall still qualify. Even if the agent looks at the days specifically, I find it hard to believe that they will find you ineligible for a matter of 2 days.
Keep in mind the one year requirement is the MINIMUM requirement. People continue to be refused for shortages of a week or more, but the VO could use this to refuse if they are looking for a reason. Nonetheless, 2 days is a weekend - so lately it seems not to be big problem.

You do have a T4 and payslips that cover the entire period?
Payslips not required.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,

I am in a kind of predicament right now. My one year PGWP is going to expire on Aug 2nd 2019. I will have one year work experience in the first week of August hence I am looking to apply for PR in the first week of August or in the following express entry draw. If I calculate with the one year experience , my score is 465. Please advise what can I do in order to continue my stay in Canada. I am here with my family with two kids. My elder one is doing his schooling here. Your valuable inputs are highly appreciated!
OK, now that we can assume you are eligible on July 23, and will submit your profile then, you would need to be prepared to submit the complete eAPR before Aug 2. (Medicals, PCCs and all letters, etc.)

You usually receive the AOR by email within 24 hours. At that time, you can submit your Bridging Open Work Permit application (you need to include a copy of the AOR), but IRCC must receive it before your PGWP expires. If you submit online, it will be received faster. Your spose could also submit an application for a dependent open work permit at the same time.

Reactions: Benbou012

Edwin333

Feb 20, 2017
However, this doesn't solve the issue of staying in Canada. If your PGWP expires on Aug 2nd and you haven't applied for PR by then you cannot apply for a BOWP after that since you won't have a valid work permit. Your BOWP will be denied.

You should plan to leave Canada and come back as a PR. You are very close to getting PR status, but if you overstay your visa or work illegally, you can very well lose your chance to live here.

If you are absolutely unable to leave Canada you should talk to an immigration attorney to see what your options are.
Sure ! Can I apply for BOWP without AOR which will enable me to continue my stay in implied status? In the mean time within few days I will submit my PR application and then send the AOR through the webform even before the VO open my BOWP application? I am thinking that I can also write an LOE to VO when I submit my BOWP.

Thanks

Edwin333

Feb 20, 2017
OK, now that we can assume you are eligible on July 23, and will submit your profile then, you would need to be prepared to submit the complete eAPR before Aug 2. (Medicals, PCCs and all letters, etc.)

You usually receive the AOR by email within 24 hours. At that time, you can submit your Bridging Open Work Permit application (you need to include a copy of the AOR), but IRCC must receive it before your PGWP expires. If you submit online, it will be received faster. Your spose could also submit an application for a dependent open work permit at the same time.
Thanks for the inputs! Even if I apply on Aug 2nd I think I would be minimum 5 to 8 days short. I am thinking about applying for BOWP on Aug 1st with an LOE to VO which will enable me to stay in implied status and when I get the AOR within few days I will submit the AOR through the web form and perhaps even before the VO open my BOWP application ? Would this be a way forward?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Sure ! Can I apply for BOWP without AOR which will enable me to continue my stay in implied status?

No. You must have the AOR at the time you apply for the BOWP.