+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card

sarah jan

Star Member
Sep 18, 2014
How long your spouse can stay ouside Canada?
I have sponsered my husband and he got the visa came to Canada stayed for three months upon his PR card arrival, he left Canada to go to his backhome.
He says he doesn't want to come back and asking me and our child to go and live with him in his backhome.

Advise please
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sarah jan said:
How long your spouse can stay ouside Canada?
I have sponsered my husband and he got the visa came to Canada stayed for three months upon his PR card arrival, he left Canada to go to his backhome.
He says he doesn't want to come back and asking me and our child to go and live with him in his backhome.
The PR Residency Obligation is 2 out of 5 years.

If you are a Canadian citizen and reside with him outside of Canada, those days will count towards his days in Canada and he will continue to meet the RO.

If you are not residing with him or if you are residing with him but are a PR, he will fail to meet the RO after 3 years outside of Canada. This doesn't result in autmatic loss of PR status but does put status at risk if trying to return to Canada.

sarah jan

Star Member
Sep 18, 2014
I do not want to reside with him, he was not loyal to his wife, child and Canada.
I was told he can not stay longer than 4months cuz the spouse sponship is conditional to live together for 2 years. So his PR card will get cancelled, as he follow the rule.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sarah jan said:
I do not want to reside with him, he was not loyal to his wife, child and Canada.
I was told he can not stay longer than 4months cuz the spouse sponship is conditional to live together for 2 years. So his PR card will get cancelled, as he follow the rule.
If he has Condition 51, you can report him to IRCC. However, there is no guarantee that his PR status will be revoked, nor will IRCC share such information with you.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
sarah jan said:
The PR card is not the same as PR status. If he is subject to Condition 51, and you report it, then he might eventually lose his PR status, but you cannot be sure of this. If he is living outside Canada for over three years (unless accompanied by a citizen spouse), then he will be in breach of the residency obligation.

If you refuse to live with him, then you can flag to IRCC in two different ways: (1) you can alert them to his breach of condition 51. (2) You can alert them when he has been out of Canada for over 3 years. They may or may not take action (the 3 year absence is more likely to result in his losing status), and they won't share their decision with you.

rosa_landaverde

Star Member
Feb 14, 2017
hello, I have a very sad situation actually. My husband did his landing on Feb 02 / 2018 and even though we changed our home address 1 year ago and immigration confirm they have changed and updated our address they did the mistake to send my husband is PR CARD to our old home which we had a problem with because they neighbours that live there really hate us and because of that we moved out. Now, we spoke with immigration and ask them why they made such a big mistake when during my husband is landing day we reconfirm and they did had the right address why did they send it to our old home...they just said someone made an error. Anyways, they mailed out on March 13, 2018 to our old home and we contacted the landlord and current tenants for our mail but they said they didn't received it at all...we already knew they would say this because they really hate my husband and most likely they threw our mail in the garbage and immigration said the mail never return to them. We only it was mailed but the neighbours won't tell us the truth...it is a very sad truth. The worse part is my husband and booked a vacation to mexico cancun paid $4,000 which will never be returned to us....so we lost our money and our dream to travel....immigration said they cant do anything about it and even though they feel sorry for us......they suggest for us to go to mexico but for my husband to apply for a travel document in his return in mexico canadian embassy ...??????? has anybody done this before?????? how long does it take to get the mail from immigration if it was sent on march 13???????? I live in Toronto and our old home also in Toronto area?????? how can i track it down??????

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
hello, I have a very sad situation actually. My husband did his landing on Feb 02 / 2018 and even though we changed our home address 1 year ago and immigration confirm they have changed and updated our address they did the mistake to send my husband is PR CARD to our old home which we had a problem with because they neighbours that live there really hate us and because of that we moved out. Now, we spoke with immigration and ask them why they made such a big mistake when during my husband is landing day we reconfirm and they did had the right address why did they send it to our old home...they just said someone made an error. Anyways, they mailed out on March 13, 2018 to our old home and we contacted the landlord and current tenants for our mail but they said they didn't received it at all...we already knew they would say this because they really hate my husband and most likely they threw our mail in the garbage and immigration said the mail never return to them. We only it was mailed but the neighbours won't tell us the truth...it is a very sad truth. The worse part is my husband and booked a vacation to mexico cancun paid $4,000 which will never be returned to us....so we lost our money and our dream to travel....immigration said they cant do anything about it and even though they feel sorry for us......they suggest for us to go to mexico but for my husband to apply for a travel document in his return in mexico canadian embassy ...??????? has anybody done this before?????? how long does it take to get the mail from immigration if it was sent on march 13???????? I live in Toronto and our old home also in Toronto area?????? how can i track it down??????
You can apply for a PR Travel Document once your outside of Canada.

The length of time it takes to receive completely varies, and you cannot board the return flight without. If you don't get the PRTD in time you'll have to extend the trip/move the return flight out.

We went through the same thing, the PR card went to our old address. The new tenants were nice though and kept it. They got it about 2 ish weeks after it was mailed.

I believe it is illegal to throw out someone's mail so you may want to look into that.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
The other option to a PRTD would be to fly back to the USA from Mexico and cross the border in a private vehicle. You won't need a PRTD to do that so as long as you can enter the USA this might be a cheaper option than extending your trip in Mexico.

rosa_landaverde

Star Member
Feb 14, 2017
How about south korea embassy??? Does any one here know how long it takes to process PRTD from south korea to come back to Canada. My husband wants to go to south korea instead since he is from South korea and holds a south korean passport but doesn't have his PR Card yet since it is lost in the mail but to return to Canada he needs to have a PRTD and wondering how long will it take to process it at south korea ????
@Rob_TO

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
How about south korea embassy??? Does any one here know how long it takes to process PRTD from south korea to come back to Canada. My husband wants to go to south korea instead since he is from South korea and holds a south korean passport but doesn't have his PR Card yet since it is lost in the mail but to return to Canada he needs to have a PRTD and wondering how long will it take to process it at south korea ????
@Rob_TO
You don't apply for PR TD from the embassy, you apply from a VAC (Visa Application Centre). For Korea it's in Seoul: http://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/korea/english/contact_us.html

I think for this region all PR TDs are actually forwarded from the VAC and processed in Manila, so I would budget at least a few weeks for the whole process. No experience at all though with PR TDs sent from Korea.

ktmktm

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone ever apply for PRTD from Hong Kong Vac? I would like to know the approximate processing time. I just landed ytd but I need to fly back to my home country for a short trip. Just want to know if I can get prtd back in time. Appreciate any of your response.